Scubapro D400 can't be serviced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobinG

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My diving is quite limited these days but we do get gear serviced every year. I have had my SP D-400 2nd stage for 30 years (well, it was upgraded once) and missed ONE service, so I am on my own. LDS says it needs a part and SP says not made any more.

They muttered something about SP only sells the full service kit, but I can get a $25 credit for turning in my D-400 and getting a HOG reg from them for about $75 after the credit.

Is the D-400 not just merely dead, but most sincerely dead?
Is the HOG a reasonable replacement for a 1-2x a year diver?
Other options?

Robin

My diving is quite limited these days but we do get gear serviced every year. I have had my SP D-400 2nd stage for 30 years (well, it was upgraded once) and missed ONE service, so I am on my own. LDS says it needs a part and SP says not made any more.

They muttered something about SP only sells the full service kit, but I can get a $25 credit for turning in my D-400 and getting a HOG reg from them for about $75 after the credit.

Is the D-400 not just merely dead, but most sincerely dead?
Is the HOG a reasonable replacement for a 1-2x a year diver?
Other options?

Robin

F**king Scubapro! Couldn't reinvent the wheel quickly enough?

Those repo-men pulled that same crap with me years ago; and I haven't dealt with them since Reagan, for that very reason. It's unlikely that it was the same part; but the claim was analogous. 25.00, really? What, no accompanying slap to the face? And I suppose that they're simply going to recycle that brass? They too offered me store credit -- enough to buy an oral inflator; strangely fitting, that.

Find another, preferably older shop; that's what I managed to do. You'll always run Into a tech with at least a drawer of old parts; hell, you may very well find parts through members on this site, as I have. Determine the piece; and dollars to doughnuts, someone here will have it for sale; or even give it to you, having experienced both responses.

The shop, where I worked, while in college, called their large morgue file "Lou's Bulbs and Tubes," and had pieces of just about everything, dating back to the late 1960s; and I cannot recall any failed repair job, for some lame, cash-grabbing reason . . .

D 400 was discontinued 18 years ago, I’m thinking that missed service was a few years back, new parts are no longer available.

There is a new regulator the D420 so maybe ask scubapro for a discount on one of those. What first stage is attached?

D 400 was discontinued 18 years ago, I’m thinking that missed service was a few years back, new parts are no longer available.

There is a new regulator the D420 so maybe ask scubapro for a discount on one of those. What first stage is attached?

My Cyklon 300 was "discontinued" some forty years ago; yet, miraculously, parts continue to be made available; and I have been using it and rebuilding it, since I was a teen . . .

Mk 10--also 30 years old and that got serviced just fine. Missed service was in 2014 when my mom was very ill so I had other things on my mind. It has been serviced annually since.

I have a used for parts D400, about half the components from it are still available.
If you know the part needed and I have it, I would be happy to provide it at very reasonable price if that would be of any help.

If you decide to be done with the D400 instead, I would probably offer more than $25 to purchase it for parts use.

if you know the part number needed (or the shop is willing to tell you), you can look for NOS parts online from the secondary market.

My Cyklon 300 was "discontinued" some forty years ago; yet, miraculously, parts continue to be made available; and I have been using it ever since I was a teen
f’n Ford! My ‘34 coupe got in a fender bender and they no longer make the fender, that’s it no more fords for me!

My Cyklon 300 was "discontinued" some forty years ago; yet, miraculously, parts continue to be made available; and I have been using it ever since I was a teen . . .

the cyklon 2nd is still current, albeit with some revisions. the unbalanced 300 first stage and the balanced 29xx first stages from the 5000 version are not. if you were trying to fix one of those and depending on the part you needed, you could be SOL also.

Back
Top Bottom