Doubles isolator valve hitting head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Almost everyone starts off with their tanks too high, thinking that itll be "easier" to reach the valves.

Then they've gotta be head-up to a) see and b) not tip forward.

When you're head up, gas comes to the top of the wing, pushing the tanks farther away from you.

What to do? RAISE THE TANKS. Crap, still cant see/reach/ be flat.

Round n round we go. Then frustration sets in and people end up settling with discomfort, resorting to wacky **** like loosening the waist strap to try and get at the tanks, hurt shoulders, sidemount, or "screw it, i dont need to reach these valves anyway."

Solution?

LOWER THE TANKS. Lower. Even lower than that. Keep going. There ya go, that's low enough. Oh look now you can be flat in the water, see where you're going, AND you can reach the valves. Neat!

Its not intuitive, but it works.

Almost everyone starts off with their tanks too high, thinking that itll be "easier" to reach the valves.

Then they've gotta be head-up to a) see and b) not tip forward.

When you're head up, gas comes to the top of the wing, pushing the tanks farther away from you.

What to do? RAISE THE TANKS. Crap, still cant see/reach/ be flat.

Round n round we go. Then frustration sets in and people end up settling with discomfort, resorting to wacky **** like loosening the waist strap to try and get at the tanks, hurt shoulders, sidemount, or "screw it, i dont need to reach these valves anyway."

Solution?

LOWER THE TANKS. Lower. Even lower than that. Keep going. There ya go, that's low enough. Oh look now you can be flat in the water, see where you're going, AND you can reach the valves. Neat!

Its not intuitive, but it works.

Pictures please. How low are we talking about? In my old dry suit I had to loosen my belt to get to the valves, so I'm curious if lowering would have worked.

-Chris

Pictures please. How low are we talking about? In my old dry suit I had to loosen my belt to get to the valves, so I'm curious if lowering would have worked.

-Chris
My valves are just over my shoulders.

image.png

While it might work just fine for this person, I would generally recommend against having valves this high up.

image.png

Compare the top photo this this pic of Gideon Liew (GUE instructor and all around nice guy). In the top pic, the tank valves are up around ear level or higher. Gid's tank valves are just above shoulder height. I bet when he stands up, the tanks shift a little lower, as well.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response!

I'll have to look at my set up to see where mine sit. I abandoned doubles for a CCR, but am back to doubles now for teaching. May have to reevaluate!

-Chris

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I think I'll be able to sort it out.

@tbone1004 I like asking for all the details and since I'm not a very handy person to begin with, what's the best method to drill a hole into the webbing so it doesn't fray afterwards?

Hopefully those 2 inches will be enough clearance.

honestly, you can just run a screw through it. Some may want to heat seal the webbing with a lighter, bit it isn't critical...

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I think I'll be able to sort it out.

@tbone1004 I like asking for all the details and since I'm not a very handy person to begin with, what's the best method to drill a hole into the webbing so it doesn't fray afterwards?

Hopefully those 2 inches will be enough clearance.

I have a quite thick nail that I get red hot and push through so it seals itself but like Bob said, it's not critical to get it hot to seal it off, it won't unravel

[/USER] I probably can. I'm currently able to reach almost the base of the isolator valve.[/QUOTE]

Oh, too high....

Gid's tank valves are just above shoulder height. I bet when he stands up, the tanks shift a little lower, as well.

I had to love anything to do with Gideon. :)
Yes, Gideon's tank valves sit just above his shoulders, IIRC. He told me he finds the wing comforting against his head since I was complaining about my wing/valve pushing off my mask strap. He helped me adjust it lower and I continued to adjust it way lower than that over time, including having a friend punch holes in my wing and plate to sit lower. No problems, except my buddy used brass grommets on the wing, so they get oxidized even with good rinsing. Halcyon won't sell me SS grommets (he went there and tried), but they said they'll put them on while I wait if I ever go to their shop in Florida. Oh well...

Another way is to get an 11 inch backplate soft weight pouch (is that what it's called?) and sew it onto your wing over the holes:

received_1246715005446886.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom