Venture heated vest...any experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The diver got back to me and said:

I got a short in the motorcycle vest , which caused a fire that burned my skin , the base layer, the vest , the undergarment and the drysuit. Don’t know what caused the short , other than motorcycle vests are not designed for diving . I ended up with 2nd and 3rd degree burns in my neck, left shoulder and back . All to save $250, learned a big lesson , hope that others benefit from my story

The santi's have the same technology and will do the exact same thing if it's damaged. It can be particularly problematic with bag suits and not enough undergarments over the vest. The wrinkles the suit creates can cause the pinch that breaks the wires

Lots of great discussion here, thanks to everyone who has chimed in.

As an avid motorcyclist, I have several heated motorcycle vests, all of which essentially perform as @tbone1004 has outlined rather succinctly. I have used all of the above equipment at one point or another in my riding, and presently use a Gerbing jacket and a Warn n Safe jacket, Both of which are powered by the battery, through a powering distribution unit.

Coldest riding I’ve done? Once coming out of Canada into Washington, something like 22 degrees F. Snowing and ice. Yeah, the wiring harness failed on that trip. It was cold.

Interesting about the Gerbings and the cave divers.

Again, thanks to all for your insights.

Anyone have any data on the frequency of vest associated Burns specifically in scuba diving?

@Frontpointer1000 there is no good data on anything in scuba diving because most of it never gets reported.

This is that dive teams website if you want to see some of the stuff they do. It's not for the faint of heart.
The Wetmules
What would you buy for heated undergarments for yourself ?

Dang! Hope others see this and don’t cheap out, like the guy who asked the question on the FB group I saw.

if you don’t mind, I’m going to paste the above to the FB group.

Don't mind at all. I'm assuming the accidents page (not a member)

What would you buy for heated undergarments for yourself ?

Exo2 would be my first choice, but the US side of that company is slightly shady so it's impractical to use those. Right now I would buy the Scubaforce X-Heat since it is waterproofed and reasonably inexpensive.

@Frontpointer1000 there is no good data on anything in scuba diving because most of it never gets reported.

This is that dive teams website if you want to see some of the stuff they do. It's not for the faint of heart.
The Wetmules

Just spent the last half hour reading some of the wet mules reports. Pretty impressive, crazy, fascinating stuff. They really are wetter than wet mules. Loved it.

Nope. It’s a Midwestern diving group.
Not a member of that either! :p

:D:D:p

The Wetmules
LOL !

qlQdR.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom