Doubles isolator valve hitting head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But, can you still reach the valves if you lower everything? Rotating the isolation valve is not uncommon....

YMMV

@ahcalde try moving the backplate holes first. You position tanks *singles or doubles* as low as you can with the height set by your ability to reach the valves, not for balance. You deal with trim in other ways, but for trim in doubles I've never heard of someone wishing they were more head heavy.

@ahcalde try moving the backplate holes first. You position tanks *singles or doubles* as low as you can with the height set by your ability to reach the valves, not for balance. You deal with trim in other ways, but for trim in doubles I've never heard of someone wishing they were more head heavy.

@tbone1004 I guess I can give that a try. Is it OK to punch a hole through the harness webbing? My webbing is one of those that covers one of the backplate holes. I don't see why that would be an issue but wanted to ask just in case.

I am using steel tanks, so I feel really negative most of the dive, so I really wouldn't want to add trim weights if by moving the plate I end up being too butt heavy.

@ahcalde if it's not, then I'm probably a stroke and going to die! it's drilled out on both my steel and kydex backplate and is the primary hole that I use. There is no real tension on that part of the webbing and even if there was, it's more than strong enough.

I can nearly guarantee you won't ever feel butt heavy in doubles. If you do, get lighter fins or dive dry. I use PST LP120's which are about as heavy as it gets for steel tanks, it's not an issue, promise!

How do I do that? Do I just loosen up the two nuts on the side and the isolator loosens up?
yes lossen the nuts and turn the isolater section till it is out of the way. That way you can leave your tank positoning where it works the best. The only other option I see, and it is conditional, is that if you are using tall valves replace then with shorter valves. there is perhaps 1/2 to an inch difference in the neck of the valve body. I will give you links if you want to see both versions if you would like. The primary valves you need to get to is the individual tank valves. If you lower the tanks so that the cross over is out of the way you risk lowering the right and left valve operators out of reach to some degree. Your flexibility comes into play at this point. The down side of turning the isolator valve is that,,, if you are going into an overhead,, the valve may hit the overhead where it would clear more if turned towards your head.

You will also have to learn to look up and tilt your head just slightly to the left or right. The back of your head will sit between the isolator and right or left post. It doesn't fit entirely, unless you have a very narrow head, but it'll give you a few more degrees of upward visibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom