How do you like your Fusion drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove a Fusion drysuit for 8 years averaging a little over 100 dives a year in it. Aside from a little wear and tear - completely expected, it performed very well. Never had a leak except for some early sock issues that were eventually resolved. However, I never liked the fit. If you happen to be in the +/- 10% of perfect for a particular size then it would likely work out fine. As mentioned above, the gross over-sizing isn't always a good thing. I also disliked the bib-like front zipper and the flimsy pockets were an unappreciated exercise. It took a long time to dry and it was - as mentioned, a struggle to get in and out of.

Last year I bought a BARE HDC Tech Dry. I love it. I got it custom measured, the pockets have sturdy tabs that help find the flap, and the diagonal front zipper is a breeze - as is getting in and out of it. I'd never go back to a Fusion. A great rental suit for sure, but not something for an active diver outside of the morphometric norms!

Hope that helps!

I’m glad to hear so much positive stuff about the Fusion suits, very encouraging! They do look to be somewhat form fitting, is there any problem with using thick undergarments for ice diving? My thoughts on going with the Kevlar (Apeks) skin were twofold. First is that that is what the dive team closest to me, and the one I’ve done some training with and will continue to train and work with, is going to as their standard suit. Second was that the role that I will be fulfilling is one of an underwater bomb technician, which would include checking ship hulls, underwater infrastructure etc. and using disrupters to mitigate an IED threat if necessary. While I hope to go the remainder of my career without having to actually conduct underwater operations for real, I will definitely be training in those kind of environments. So with that information and knowing that I would likely be spending time around potentially abrasive items and whatnot, I’d the consensus still that the Kevlar suit is overkill? I do not think I would want anything less than the Fusion Bullet in terms of an outer skin, but would that really suit me better? Also, pockets are a must for me so the models without pockets would be a no go unfortunately. Thanks again for all of your insight thus far, it’s greatly appreciated.

You want the MCM/EOD version of the Fusion for that then.

Military - Fusion Tactical MCM - Whites Diving

I have been diving a Fusion since just after Aqualung purchased Whites. I started with the Bullet skin, then switch to the tech skin because the Bullet was just too heavy and miserable out of the water. The Tech skin was way more flexible, so about four years ago I purchased the Sport skin and I found that I like it the most. The Sport skin has held up great and is just so much more pleasurable to dive. If donning the suit is a problem spray the interior with Sailkote, it makes it much easier to slide on, this trick came out years ago. I recoat mine a couple time a year.Amazon.com : Mclube Sailkote 8oz. : Sports & Outdoors

I have been diving a Fusion since just after Aqualung purchased Whites. I started with the Bullet skin, then switch to the tech skin because the Bullet was just too heavy and miserable out of the water. The Tech skin was way more flexible, so about four years ago I purchased the Sport skin and I found that I like it the most. The Sport skin has held up great and is just so much more pleasurable to dive. If donning the suit is a problem spray the interior with Sailkote, it makes it much easier to slide on, this trick came out years ago. I recoat mine a couple time a year.Amazon.com : Mclube Sailkote 8oz. : Sports & Outdoors

The AirCore is much slicker and easier to get into than the original DryCore.

That would be nice.

I have one. It was my first dry suit. It's an original White's before Aqualung bought them. I hate it. The fabric socks suck, the trash bag suit traps air in funny ways. The trash bag suit folds in funny ways, doubles over, etc. Donning and doffing is annoying, it reminds me of trying to cram an infant in a onesie.

Get yourself a made-to-measure Seaskin for the same or less money and have a suit that fits the way a drysuit should. Fusions excel as rental suits because you can buy a handful of them and they'll fit everybody. With the leakage problems I wouldn't even expect one to keep you dry. Although it's probably drier than a DUI....

Have one of the original suits from Whites and it is still going strong. Dived it from 40 degrees at home to 70+ in the tropics. Just change the undergarments. I just add or remove layers as required.

It is tricky to get into at first but once you work it out it becomes simple. Have never noticed any issues with wrinkles or air management, it just works as I expect it to. My trilam suit was much more difficult re air bubble management. However I am about as average as it gets re size so everything off the rack fits me.

I find the suit way easier to dive than any other dry suit I have tried, the shrink wrap effect means you are streamlined compared to any other type of drysuit.

If I need any more than a 3 mm full suit I just go dry.

Hate the pockets, but I gather they have improved.

Have replaced the wrist seals twice and just replaced the neck seal for the first time. I mostly dive with dry gloves so that puts stress on the wrist seals.

I’m glad to hear so much positive stuff about the Fusion suits, very encouraging! They do look to be somewhat form fitting, is there any problem with using thick undergarments for ice diving? My thoughts on going with the Kevlar (Apeks) skin were twofold. First is that that is what the dive team closest to me, and the one I’ve done some training with and will continue to train and work with, is going to as their standard suit. Second was that the role that I will be fulfilling is one of an underwater bomb technician, which would include checking ship hulls, underwater infrastructure etc. and using disrupters to mitigate an IED threat if necessary. While I hope to go the remainder of my career without having to actually conduct underwater operations for real, I will definitely be training in those kind of environments. So with that information and knowing that I would likely be spending time around potentially abrasive items and whatnot, I’d the consensus still that the Kevlar suit is overkill? I do not think I would want anything less than the Fusion Bullet in terms of an outer skin, but would that really suit me better? Also, pockets are a must for me so the models without pockets would be a no go unfortunately. Thanks again for all of your insight thus far, it’s greatly appreciated.

Given the roles you describe it seems odd that you are purchasing a drysuit yourself instead of the organization purchasing it for you, especially as an underwater bomb technician.

It is tough to say whether the kevlar version would be better for you or not. That is only something folks who are doing the kind of diving you will be doing can answer and since the organization you will be working with is moving to KVR1 suits then perhaps that is your answer.

I don't have too much of an issue putting my suit. It does take a handful of seconds more than my dive partners with neoprene or trilam suits but not that much more.

I also have a Fusion Thermal undersuit but find it is too warm unless the water temp is below 5c. It is a nice undersuit and very warm, but is expensive. I often opt for thinner polar fleece pants and a fleece top with under armor underneath. There are lots of other undersuits on the market that are less expensive than the Fusion Thermal and work as well or better. No need to spend $400+ on an undersuit unless you want to.

I also recommend the neck and wrist seal system...it is great insurance should one of your seals tear while getting dressed or between dives...it makes replacement a snap.

Another suit with kevlar to think about is the Mares XR1. I know a few people with this suit and they are very happy with it. There is a version of the suit with si-tech neck and wrist system pre-installed.

If you are going with a Fusion it would be good idea to check if you can get yours with the Si-Tech Quick Neck system instead of the Si-Tech Neck Tite system...the Quick Neck is much more flexible and reportedly more comfortable than the Neck Tite system which is their first generation.

Also, I hear that new Fusions may becoming with a plastic zipper on the Core of the suit....I am not in favor of this and am glad my replacement suit (warranty issue) came back with a metal zipper.

-Z

Given the roles you describe it seems odd that you are purchasing a drysuit yourself instead of the organization purchasing it for you, especially as an underwater bomb technician.

It is tough to say whether the kevlar version would be better for you or not. That is only something folks who are doing the kind of diving you will be doing can answer and since the organization you will be working with is moving to KVR1 suits then perhaps that is your answer.
-Z

It’s an interesting situation I agree. Ultimately this is training and work that I am interested in and right now a drysuit isn’t in the budget for my agency. I’m sure they would be willing to provide me with a suit in the future but I would then have to wait, and the training for this particular specialty comes with a fairly long wait. Also since I will use this drysuit for my own personal, fun endeavors as well I don’t mind buying it. It would be a different story if I would only use this suit for work but it will actually most likely be used for leisure more than work so it’s cool. I figure it’s just more reason to buy a suit that would do a good job pulling double duty

It’s an interesting situation I agree. Ultimately this is training and work that I am interested in and right now a drysuit isn’t in the budget for my agency. I’m sure they would be willing to provide me with a suit in the future but I would then have to wait, and the training for this particular specialty comes with a fairly long wait. Also since I will use this drysuit for my own personal, fun endeavors as well I don’t mind buying it. It would be a different story if I would only use this suit for work but it will actually most likely be used for leisure more than work so it’s cool. I figure it’s just more reason to buy a suit that would do a good job pulling double duty

The only difference between the KVR1 and the Fusion Bullet is the Kevlar and the Apeks branding. You can always purchase an extra skin for the suit if you find the kevlar one to be too bulky for your recreational needs and swap back when you know you will be using it for work. It is not difficult to swap skins, though it could be considered slightly time consuming if one is using Fusion boots.

There was someone on SB about a year or so ago who stated they don their core and skin separately, as they found it quicker/easier to get in and out of the suit this way. I think they may have enlarged the areas the valves poke through in the skin to facilitate this....I bring this up to indicate that it is not a lot of work to swap between skins...especially with the rapid zip system that the AirCore suits come with.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom