Squashing the Rumors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Christi I admire you and someday hope to meet you. I have one final observation. I have lived in many parts of the world. I have not met a single human being in my 70+ years that wasn't addicted to something. Not all of the addictions are as destructive to self and others like drugs and alcohol, but CAN be depending on the situation. What about the parent who is addicted to working and neglects their offspring, or the person who MUST take issue with everything that is said, written, or posted, or the person who (fill in the blank). @Christi has an addiction, which attacks many. She has, through the help of God and people who have supported her, gotten on the winning side, but as she has stated it's a continuous effort to stay there. For that she deserves respect and admiration from everyone. She may be the inspiration of someone to take up the struggle. As a minimum it should inspire each of us to examine ourselves to address our own addiction. Upon examination we may discover something good or something bad, but I guarantee we will find one.

Don't be quick to judge. Again, Christi I admire you, and you inspire me. :) Keep up the good fight.

Cheers - M²

p.s. Yes, I have an addiction too.

Hey, I'm addicted to Cozumel and I don't wanna go to rehab unless it's on Cozumel!

Thanks, Marg

@Christi I admire you and someday hope to meet you. I have one final observation. I have lived in many parts of the world. I have not met a single human being in my 70+ years that wasn't addicted to something. Not all of the addictions are as destructive to self and others like drugs and alcohol, but CAN be depending on the situation. What about the parent who is addicted to working and neglects their offspring, or the person who MUST take issue with everything that is said, written, or posted, or the person who (fill in the blank). @Christi has an addiction, which attacks many. She has, through the help of God and people who have supported her, gotten on the winning side, but as she has stated it's a continuous effort to stay there. For that she deserves respect and admiration from everyone. She may be the inspiration of someone to take up the struggle. As a minimum it should inspire each of us to examine ourselves to address our own addiction. Upon examination we may discover something good or something bad, but I guarantee we will find one.

Don't be quick to judge. Again, Christi I admire you, and you inspire me. :) Keep up the good fight.

Cheers - M²

p.s. Yes, I have an addiction too.

That was a good post. It made me think.

I get up every morning and sit in the same spot, eat the same cereal, watch the same news channel. The rest of the day is somewhat repetitive too. We are creatures of habit.

Having been to Coz many times, I read this site for information and to relive my diving experiences when trip reports are posted. Also, my LDS does 2 trips a year to Coz and I can give some info I learn on this site to the shop owner because he doesn't read SB. Before posting this, I went back to read Christy's original post. My interpretation of her original post was a business owner explaining that "rumors of the shop's demise were premature"...or just plain wrong. She explained the shop's business history which, because it is inextricably linked to her personal history, includes her past struggles and the resulting effect on business back then. Therefore, to squash the rumors of the shop's closing, she explained her personal plans which would take her away from day to day operations for a time, but would not stop the operations of the shop. This all makes perfect sense as she and her shop are mainstays on this site and many readers dive with her and want to know the truth from the "horse's mouth". Nothing in the post was "hey, look at me" or narcissistic in any way. Not sure what the 8 pages of responses was about except mostly to support her in her plans and in her business.
With that as a backdrop, I'll second the support, but hope we soon move on. In that regard, how are the corrals in the South since re-opening?

Rob

I had no idea that Christi had an alcoholism problem in the past. There is no need for me to know but I am glad that you beat it. I suspect that it is a big problem in many areas and especially cold, dreary places like MN.

What is a "boutique" dive op?

Get training in winter driving if you are not used to it. Snow is bad. Blizzards are very bad and it is better to stay home than venture out into them. Most people have nothing so important to do that risking your life or that of others justifies going out during one.

Ice is also very bad and justifies a down day.

@morecowbells - Thank you! Yes, I will be able to have empathy and compassion for those I work with. And other than the extreme winter, I actually love Minnesota - I already have some of the expressions down: "wanna come with?" LOL and yes, I'm familiar with "pop" and "hotdishes" - I had never heard "davenport" before - LOL

Going to bring this thread back to MN for a sec, have you seen this video? How To Talk Minnesotan | How to Talk Minnesotan

A good crash course for any expressions you don't have yet :)

suspect that it is a big problem in many areas and especially cold, dreary places like MN.

Snow is bad. Blizzards are very bad and it is better to stay home than venture out into them. Most people have nothing so important to do that risking your life or that of others justifies going out during one.

Ice is also very bad and justifies a down day.

Bright sunshiny day here in MN.
Cold yes, Dreary no.
Ice is usually a lot of fun.
We look forward to the lakes freezing over.
Just don't park near other vehicles.

Imgur

Hey Christi,

My wife, daughter and I live in the Minneapolis area so we can relate (weather) and hope you are surviving. Think long underwear when it starts getting down around 10F or lower.

I've never used your shop but always heard good things! That took some guts to explain publicly what you've been through.

If you ever want to meet up with any of us Twin Cites folks just say the word. For example I live on the west side and work in Plymouth. Also, if you aren't averse to flying I usually fly about once a week and you are more than welcome to be copilot and see our incredibly flat and frozen land from above.

Hey Christi,

My wife, daughter and I live in the Minneapolis area so we can relate (weather) and hope you are surviving. Think long underwear when it starts getting down around 10F or lower.

I've never used your shop but always heard good things! That took some guts to explain publicly what you've been through.

If you ever want to meet up with any of us Twin Cites folks just say the word. For example I live on the west side and work in Plymouth. Also, if you aren't averse to flying I usually fly about once a week and you are more than welcome to be copilot and see our incredibly flat and frozen land from above.

@sinistar we are neighbors! I live in Maple Grove and work in Plymouth around 36th and Zachary!

Well I work pretty close to there (near HWY169/HWY55). But I live about 20 miles west!

Here comes the cold!

Back
Top Bottom