When to replace old gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, a skills problem, not at all the fault of the gear. Yes, a conventional safe second may have some advantages, but there are also issues with that configuration. If a diver has poor or deteriorated skills, things can get interesting.....

But it happens, I did it with an insta-buddy who didn’t respond to my request for gas.
And it’s just another one of those things that you should think through, your SPG came off which is not normally a panic worthy event, unless this was at the end of a long dive you most likely could have just kept breathing from your reg and headed to the surface. The thought of someone who may be in panic mode grabbing my inflator is not something I want to ever deal with.

@Edward3c When using a new inflator/octo combo, the donor passes the primary to the buddy and switches to that combo unit. My number one annoyance with those items is all of the divers using them that have never learned or even thought through how to manage both gas and buoyancy in an actual emergency, much explained it to their buddy.
Not familiar with her unit but curious if I understand the failure and appropriate response should it have happened underwater.

It looks like the entire valve came out and remained in the hose? If so then can the temporary solution be to remove the valve from the hose to stop the air loss? Can you still orally inflate the BCD through the unit?

agree with @uncfnp analysis and questions...

If hose is expelling air, eject the fitting by the same maneuver that would resemble disconnecting. If the bladder can hold air, you are them using the oral inflation skill. If it won't hold air, one could put a finger over the hole and proceed with next steps. This assumes that there isn't a weighting issue. Swimming up a rig shouldn't be a problem if things are configured correctly.

YMMV

If so then can the temporary solution be to remove the valve from the hose to stop the air loss? Can you still orally inflate the BCD through the unit?

Well it’s actually just nipple holding the valve in the hose filling open, but yes remove the nipple and the hose connector will shut. And yes.

I’d be headed up as I was figuring it out, if the hose couldn’t be cleared quickly, the tank would be empty pretty quick.

Bob

If hose is expelling air, eject the fitting by the same maneuver that would resemble disconnecting.

Possibly, since air is flowing through the nipple it may not be ejected by the pressure that blows the fitting apart normally. Which means it would take both hands to take it apart, assuming it being jammed isn’t the reason it broke.

Since the actuating valve for inflating is downstream from the hose and fitting, manual inflating should work properly, I don’t know the unit so it could be different.

Bob

Murphy's law. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. The thing you can do is keep your gear in top condition by thorough inspection and maintenance. All my gear is old (so am I). But well maintained (me, not so much).I use a Cobra that I`ve had for 20 years and it has never missed a beat. My granddaughters have used Scubapro G250`s and MK10`s that are 30 years old but very well maintained. New stuff is nice, but the basics of regs, both 1st and 2nd are pretty much the same as they have been for almost 40 years. More expensive and more complex, but basically the same. You may gain a little in performance but most wouldn`t really notice the difference unless pushed to the very extreme.
I have used the same BC for over 15 years also. You just need to keep an eye on the fiddly bits and keep it up and no problems. I bought an old BC for my granddaughter and thoroughly checked it out and she loves it. My other granddaughter uses my late wife's old Seaquest and it works jut fine. Both are around 20 years old. The BC`s, not my granddaughters.

So what it boils down to is whatever your tolerance is. Some people are uncomfortable diving old gear and have to have the newest. Others dive double hose and 109`s. You can also learn to do you`re own repair and rebuild, Just go with how YOU feel.

I was reminded how dangerous the sport can be, and how very important our gear is; it is life support. I do not want to compromise on safety. But I also don't want to throw away perfectly good gear because of a rash, emotional decision.

Well, glad you're okay, but it's probably time to remind yourself that safe diving includes being able to survive gear failures without worry. Recreational scuba gear is NOT 'life support', it's only sporting equipment. You proved that yourself by surviving a gear failure. Yes, you do need air and buoyancy to survive under water, but you should always have access to both when diving beyond your own regulator. That's what buddies are for, and keeping access to the surface, and being able to drop weights if you need to.

I use 40 year old regulators all the time, usually in caves where there is no surface access. So I wouldn't worry about your regs, as long as they can be serviced. The BC inflator is notorious for causing problems. Combining it with an alternate 2nd stage has never been a good idea IMO, but that's only an opinion. Maybe you could take this event as an opportunity to try a different set up; just replace your octo/inflator with a standard inflator, then get a 2nd stage to use as a true alternate. You could even try having your primary 2nd stage on a longer hose (this would give you a good chance to replace hoses) and your alternate on a 22"-24" hose and bungee necklace. That way you still donate your primary, but you'll have enough hose to do so comfortably, and your alternate will always be nice and accessible just under your chin.

Thank you for taking the time to respond! Out of curiosity, what are the common failures you have seen with the integrated systems? I liked it originally because it eliminated one more hose and made me more streamlined. I commonly dive in an Aquarium setting, so streamlining becomes important so we aren't hitting and scratching the acrylic accidentally. But, you are not the first person who has disliked the integrated system. And mine decided to fail in an epic way. ):

The older models were very poor breathers -- novelties really -- not that easily repaired or adjusted; and were highly prone to leakage and even incidental damage from annual servicing; there were anomalous failures during their intended usage (as some have already described); serial recalls and sudden free-flows. Of those I knew who first used them, none have continued to do so -- now preferrinng to keep their buoyancy controls and safe seconds discreetly separate . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom