Dropping a spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a good and simple trick, but from this video only I am not sure people would understand it fully.
Yes, me:surrender:the double ender act like a weight, and recover the empty spool > rewind the line in tension thanks to the double ender ? Is that correct ?

I'll try my best.

Let's say the spool is gone down to the blue.

You make a circle (like the ok sign) with your fingers. Take the line that is in front of you, make a U shape with it, feed the U tip in the finger loop. Attach the boltsnap to the tip of the loop and let it drop to the blue. Wait... the reel will be pulled up as the boltsnap drop. Then you have the dsmb at the surface, the spool in your hand and the bolt snap is down at the bottom of the sea.

I actually just clip the double ender on the line and shove it trough the circled fingers.

Make sense?

Trick works only if double ender heavier than spool and the bottom is deeper than line length.

I'll try my best.

Let's say the spool is gone down to the blue.

You make a circle (like the ok sign) with your fingers. Take the line that is in front of you, make a U shape with it, feed the U tip in the finger loop. Attach the boltsnap to the tip of the loop and let it drop to the blue. Wait... the reel will be pulled up as the boltsnap drop. Then you have the dsmb at the surface, the spool in your hand and the bolt snap is down at the bottom of the sea.

I actually just clip the double ender on the line and shove it trough the circled fingers.

Make sense?
it s OK, now.Thanks for your time and the tip:cheers:

Imagine a dropped spool with 100’ line, a lot of swearing, slow reaction time, and a 60’ bottom full of stuff with a small current (for example, me). That’s the spool and 40’ of tangled line to fish up with the double ender counter weight. It’s only half the line length once the spool is back in hand and the weight down at depth.

Dropped a delrin spool once. Luckily it didn't do anything! It just floated there in front of my face. Grabbed it, before anyone noticed :p , no problem!

This is actually one of those things that you want to happen at least once because it reinforces the importance of knowing your gear and how it needs to be properly secured. I made the mistake of trying to wind too much line on a spool when I switched to high viz line and had it run away on me as I was unclipping my surface maker. Fortunately, we were in shallow water...

Helium dive sells a neutrally bouyany spool. It's a gut punching $50 though.

Trick works only if double ender heavier than spool and the bottom is deeper than line length.
The double ender doesn't need to be heavier than the spool as it is only holding the extra line down. You will be lifting the spool and the double ender is simply keeping the extra line you retrieve hanging below you while you retrieve the spool and wind the line back up.

If the bottom isn't quite as deep as half the line length then you can overcome that by swimming or by being even trickier and using two double enders to create two sagging line loops which would allow for the distance to the bottom to be close to 1/4 the length of the line.

You can also use a backup light as a weight instead of a double ender which will make it easier to tell if you are in danger of snagging on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom