4 days in Raja Ampat, which homestay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stebatta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!
I will fly to Raja Ampat on the morning of February 29.
I will do a 2 weeks diving volunteering project starting from March 4 but since I have a couple of days before I wanted to make sure to see the diving highlights (ideally also Wayag or Piaynemo).
Since I have to be in either Sorong or Waisai on the 4th, I was thinking to stay in a homestay on Kri island for a couple of days and dive either with them or a good dive center near by.
Now, my questions are the following: Do you think it is a good plan? Any advices otherwise where else I should stay or how to make the best out of my time? Any homestay you would advice (with good diving, I read contradictory stories on homestay's dive shops)?

Thanks!

PS: I'm a young woman traveling alone.

Your plan sounds mostly good. To dive as much as possible while in the area I'd suggest you minimize hoping around. Find a good homestay with onsite diving on Kri, Gam or Mansuar and keep with them. I can suggest Corepen on Gam. I have dived 3 weeks in total with them and everything was good (for a homestay). I wouldn't suggest using a dive op different than the one you stay with for several reasons: usually they cater first for their own customers, communications are usually difficult, punctuality is not a thing etc. Make sure you read all the relevant info in Stay Raja Ampat: The best Raja Ampat accommodation & travel information source

About Piaynemo, from Kri/Gam it is a full day trip which can, but usually does not include diving. Such trips depend on a lot of factors and hence can only be arranged on the spot between the visitors and the hosts. So you can only hope for the best to get a chance while you are there. Wayag is too far for such short time.

About traveling alone, I can't really commend as I am guy. The place attracts a lot of tourists hence generally it should be ok. Common routes (Sorong airport and harbor, ferry to Waisai, homestay etc) usually are busy (including several foreigners). Locals in general are very friendly.

Let us know if you need any extra info

Thanks a lot Stepfen!
This is exactly the kind of information I needed! I already contacted the homestay you suggested so hopefully there will be space for me :)
Do you know if they dive on Sunday? I read that boats are not allowed on that day, but I may be wrong.

I read that boats are not allowed on that day, but I may be wrong.
There is no such thing. Some families attend the church in the morning, some others choose to have a day off/rest while for some others it is business as usual.

FYI the norm for homestays is 2 morning dives per day (around 8am and 11am depending on currents, conditions etc of course). If/when enough guests ask for it, they might consider a third afternoon or night dive. That's for weekdays.

For Sundays I think that most centers do the usual 2 dives too. The only difference I saw the first time I was there (Jan 2018) was that they started the first dive at 11am (instead of the usual 8am so that the family could attend church first) followed by a second dive after lunch (2pm or so). The second time I was there (Dec 2018) they did Sunday dives as usual (8am and 11am for morning dives with an option for an afternoon or night dive).

You might look at Yenbuba homestay on Kri. They partnered with Soul Scuba which is run by a French/American couple. I will be there next month. You can book both the accommodation and diving directly with Soul Scuba.

https://www.soulscubadivers.com/

Sounds exciting! Agree with Stepfen, plan sounds fine. As you only have a few days, absolutely stay at where you plan to dive, and given limited time I would aim for Kri as it's closest to Waisai and the best dive sites. This might also give you a chance to get a deal with diving, stay and transport to/from Kri.

I assume you are a reasonably experienced/comfortable diver, as there will be some more challenging dives with current and negative entry. Diving with homestays (budget) could possibly also mean simpler set ups (oxygene?, clear buddies, briefings etc.) I tend to enjoy the charm and affordability of simple homestay/diving, but it might not be for everyone. For a new diver (travelling alone) the diving could be intimidating and possibly not always as safe as it should be.

I have seem quite a few young women (travelling alone) staying at Kri homestays, if you have been to similar places before I think you'll be fine (as in many other places there could be some person (guy) who might think alone = lonely).
The trip to Piaynemo depends on the place to have a full boat of people interested to go, and decent weather. I guess a larger place will mean bigger chance it might happen, although for the few days before your project I think you might need to mange
your expectations.

Read recent reviews, check a few things with your shortlisted options and I'm sure you'll have a great one! Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom