Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... then two of my favorite people and I parked a truck at the lighthouse and drove up to Tikila. They won't let you put in there if the port is closed but there is a ramp 50 meters north of there. We put in there, headed WSW out to the wall which is quite a swim but we have done it twice this week. We drifted along the wall for 90 minutes and then came in at the bar next to the lighthouse.
I have a few questions about the logistics of your dive, as I don't get down that way much. I've wanted to do entries at Tikila, although more so when the port is open and I can rent tank/weights from them.

Your entry point sounds to be about 1/2 way to the foundation of an unfinished building, entering roughly across the street from the Harley rentals. Looking at Google Street View and satellite, there doesn't appear to be a break in the wall along the sidewalk, and that all appears to be the typical iron shore. Are you saying that one is able to hop the wall and manage to avoid the rough shore to make an entry? When I hear, "ramp", I'm thinking boat ramp or at least some sandy beach. And I assume you'd rented tanks ahead of time from Merdiano or elsewhere.

I'm also curious about the exit. The only lighthouse I'm aware of near that area is next to the auto ferry pier, at Playa Caletias, which would be an easy exit. That's about a mile from Tikila, and that would seem consistent with a 1/2-knot northerly current and a 2+ hour dive time, but maybe a little far for a 90 minute drift (or it was closer to a 1-knot current). It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to miss that exit without running into the pier. Or are you typically further offshore (> 250m)?

I'm also curious about the parking logistics. Is parking along Melgar allowed in those areas?

I have a few questions about the logistics of your dive, as I don't get down that way much. I've wanted to do entries at Tikila, although more so when the port is open and I can rent tank/weights from them.

Ironically, I just asked him some questions about it but via pm as it really isn't a dive most people should be doing.

In light of the opinion of two very experienced Cozumel folks who think the port captain made the right call today, I'll defer to them. I just hope that she got it right as a result of good advice and not luck.

@GirlonFire - yes - forecast calling for strong north winds all day Sunday
Got it. Heading to PDC for the day. I would love to experience Cozumel diving before I leave on the 9th but if not, if ever I return, I may stay on the mainland and take day trips here. Especially in January.

In light of the opinion of two very experienced Cozumel folks who think the port captain made the right call today, I'll defer to them. I just hope that she got it right as a result of good advice and not luck.
She absolutely did NOT make the right call today. Seas were FLAT up until 3pm when I headed to the airport. Just arrived back in MSP will update tomorrow

Ironically, I just asked him some questions about it but via pm as it really isn't a dive most people should be doing.
May I ask why not? I tagged along with a friend doing a discover SCUBA dive there last year. Seems easy-peazy. Unfortunately we couldn't get out to the little reef as she had problems clearing. There's a map floating around here somewhere and it looks to be an easy dive, 25-35' max.

I'd just like someplace that I can practice my underwater photography, and the typical Coz dive boat just doesn't cut it. From what I've read there's very little current at Tikila, and I've seen some great photos from that little reef. The biggest problem would seem to be where to park the scooter.

if ever I return, I may stay on the mainland and take day trips here. Especially in January.
Don't travel in winter if you want to avoid wintertime problems. Okay, the risky period is longer than that. Cozumel is great six months of the year. Other weather can happen, sure, but nortes at times from October thru April. See Historical Port Closures by month/year for Cozumel

Summertime trips are great. Hurricanes are rare, they give plenty of warning, and all providers are eager to cooperate is you need to reschedule. They don't want you traveling or visiting in a hurricane either.

I would love to experience Cozumel diving before I leave on the 9th
Sadly, that looks unlikely for now - subject to change...

000.jpg

You can't open the port and say, hey there's weather coming in later today, let's wrap it up by noon, by one o'clock???

For that matter, we all knew this weather was coming, why can't the Port Captain the DAY BEFORE put out a notice that tomorrow doesn't look good, let's get it wrapped up by noon or something??

How many divers were left sitting on the beach today, most probably for the second time in this trip while they stare out at a calm ocean??

Sure, we appreciate the safety concerns and today's weather did change dramatically, just like the forecast called for but someone really better understand why some folks come here.

II'm also curious about the exit. The only lighthouse I'm aware of near that area is next to the auto ferry pier, at Playa Caletias, which would be an easy exit. That's about a mile from Tikila, and that would seem consistent with a 1/2-knot northerly current and a 2+ hour dive time, but maybe a little far for a 90 minute drift (or it was closer to a 1-knot current). It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to miss that exit without running into the pier. Or are you typically further offshore (> 250m)?

There is a power cable that runs WSW from that lighthouse back to the mainland, and there is a large buoy anchored to the top of the wall at the point where the cable crosses the wall at about a 45 degree angle. It's really easy to spot if you are on the wall. Also, the cable is covered with a brick culvert; if you follow it all the way back you will encounter the ferry pier, but you bear to the right a little you will come into the Caletita. It's usually a small vector across the current.

Back
Top Bottom