Venture heated vest...any experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After digging a little deeper, I see my can light has 8.7 amp/hr.
2 x 5.2 amp/hr batteries = 10.4 amp/hr. Hmmm.

At what voltage? You can't compare amp hours unless you know that they use the same voltage.

i had a thermolution until it got stolen it was a solid product.

i tried a venture vest out 2 weeks ago it was good. the controller has about 5" of range so SM in a drysuit is a bit of a pain the thermolution remote range was much much better.

i will be picking up a venture i think shortly as its like $350 cheaper than the thermolution. I didnt care either way for the front heat. just heating on the back was fine with me. the cells are twice the size but with front heat as well Im assuming run time will be similar

Those Venture vests are brand new. They were just released at DEMA. The company has been making other heated vests for outdoor activities for a while. DRIS sells them now.

I know a guy who wore one on his AN/DP class deco dives in October. Said it worked fabulous. Compared with the Thermolution, my tech instructor (who taught the class where the one guy used the Ventute) said the Venture batteries are about the size of 1.5 iPhones while the Thermolution batteries are about the size of a single iPhone.

I was considering the Venture due to back and front heating elements, but instructor said with my short torso, he thought the Venture batteries would be too big for me. I’m going be getting the $800 Thermolution vest. I know a good number of people who have been diving them for at least 2-3 years and they are all happy. They are all Great Lakes divers, so lots of cold water dives. The Thermolution has been around for while, so I’d prefer to go with something already tested in real world use rather than a brand new product.
having used both I owned the thermolution and used the venture for a 2 hour dive here in BC 2 weeks ago i like the thermolution but the venture is much cheaper

@tbone1004 may have some insight into this product, given his line of work.

I just read in this week's UWPMAG issue a review of a "Fix Heated Vest". When I saw my friends Venture Vest I noted that the wireless wrist controller and battery packs looked identical to the Venture units they had. I suspect they are basically the same and just re-branded from the same OEM. You can read the review of the Fix Vest in the free download of the UWPMag issue #112.

http://www.uwpmag.com/?download=112
davehicks, I get error when I click on the link.

Motorcycles are the other industry that uses this technology, and the biker stuff seems to be way cheaper. I have an electric vest (and grips) and love it. This would put you in DIY territory but it’s a simple enough project. Would also recommend batteries outside the suit for safety.

Motorcycles are the other industry that uses this technology, and the biker stuff seems to be way cheaper. I have an electric vest (and grips) and love it. This would put you in DIY territory but it’s a simple enough project. Would also recommend batteries outside the suit for safety.
Please don't. I know someone who had severe burns during a tech dive in Lake Crescent (rebreather IIRC). Choosing between DCS when you are nowhere near a chamber and severe burns is a tough choice.

The motorcycle and other similar vests are not engineered to withstand the pressure at depth. I’ve heard of multiple stories of people taking a motorcycle heated vest underwater and getting burned.

Not the brightest idea.

Just saw the other post that says the same thing.

Marie13 wrote "The motorcycle and other similar vests are not engineered to withstand the pressure at depth " What is your source of this statement? As far a pressure goes wouldn't equalizing the drysuit mostly eliminate pressure?
I have been using a heated vest for around 10yrs or so. Its a UDT branded vest, but the inner liner has "tourmaster" I purchased from DRIS. Tourmaster makes and sells motorcycle vest. I do use a external battery.

Al

Back
Top Bottom