How to travel with tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't seen anyone suggest actually securing these projectiles to the vehicle!?!
Sure they may not slide much when nailing the brakes but anyone want to guess at the forces involved in an accident? Ever been hit with 50lbs or more, moving 60mph? Many have been killed in minor crashes by unsecured items.
Any SUV or hatch back I've seen has cargo anchors..

I strap mine down, probably saved my life a few years ago when I got hit by 2 semi's (2 hits). Doubles, stages and deco bottles are strapped to the rear of the back seat in the trunk via the child seat anchors (on back of the seat).

The collisions caused most of those tanks to migrate into the back seat (still strapped in), the gear I had in the back seat ended up in the passenger seat, and luckily, nothing ended up in the driver's seat aside from the airbag.

All tanks ended up passed hydro, had to replace a manifold, and lost a little deco gas from a roll on in the chaos.

Strap those tanks down!

_R

Probably a new thread, probably location specific as well. Ask that in Texas and the answer will be a 4-door 1-ton diesel pickup. Probably won't work for you.
Crew cabs for the win!!! :)

I’ve seen people strap deco bottles (AL40s) into the back seat with the seat belt. I actually did that with my doubles before I bought current SUV.

Well, securing them is the safest. No matter how you place them if they can roll around they're dangerous.

If I was gonna lay them down in a trunk and not secure, I'd place them in valve first.

My reasoning is I've seen a valve blow off before. It has kinetic energy which means it's going to stop when it hits something (hopefully not me) that'll absorb that energy. Now most likely that back seat cushion won't stop it, as they're just foam and fabric, but the firewall behind the engine might, and it ends there. But that cylinder has stored energy inside. Even if it hits a brick wall, it isn't going to stop. It's going to keep on spinning and bouncing around in that car until it runs out of fuel (compressed gas), beating everything up inside the car.

Recall the fireman that was killed awhile back by his SCBA cylinder? It bounced off all four cement block walls of the bay before it stopped.

With a valve, fate has one chance to get me. With a cylinder, it has as many chances as it can get until the gas is out.

The valve I saw blow off, it went straight up like a bullet, thru the ceiling of the dive shop, and into the place between the ceiling and floor of the second floor. The cylinder kept right on spinning and flying and bouncing. Long after the valve was at rest, the cylinder was still moving and deadly.

Maybe my logic is flawed becuase I've seen what a piece of shrapnel or bullet can do inside an M1 Abrams tank in Iraq. It ricochets all over, shredding everyone inside up until it runs out of energy. If that bullet or shrapnel could exit the tank and not be confined, it'd be a lot less dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom