Travel dive accessory kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcp2

15’ vis is a good day in the pond
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I wasn’t sure whether to put this in travel or scuba accessories, but the majority of my dives are going to be diving while on vacation, rather than vacationing to go diving, at least for now, as my family is split between divers and non divers. As such, I’ve been taking less and less gear, to the point where I’m at mask, snorkel, and computer for sure, fins, wetsuit, and booties maybe, and BC/regulators rarely. I end up renting what I don’t take. This goes for my daughter who is my dive partner as well.
We do take a small box of “stuff” that I’ve found very helpful, and wanted to see if anybody else had something that they brought even when renting equipment.
Things I’ve brought and used. Spool and SMB on double ender. Dive light on bolt snap with rechargeable battery and charger. Compass on retractor. Fin and mask holder lanyard on bolt snap. Extra double ender. Bottle of defog. Trilobite cutter. Pair of mechanics gloves.
Things I’ve brought and not used. Octopus holder. Mirror and whistle on bungee and bolt snap.
Things I’ve considered bringing. Dive slate. Trauma shears in sheath. Small dive knife/tool. Extra mouthpiece with zip tie.
All this fits into a mask box which I can put into my carry on. Am I missing something or should I leave something out? Laugh at the fin/mask lanyard if you must, but it’s been really handy on shore dives as it’s freed up my hands for balance.

Looks like you are pretty well covered.

Maybe add

Spare assorted o rings (or at least some tank o rings)
Spare fin strap
Spare mask strap (or a spare mask)
A small tube of Aquaseal for wet suit tears

You may not want to have your knife in your carry on

You do not want to have your knife in your carry on
Fixed that for you.

Whatever knife/cutting tool you carry on a dive MUST be reachable with either hand, or carry two....

I always have a basic kit with an extra mouthpiece and zip ties, extra mask strap, extra fin strap, bolt snap, wrenches that fit my reg set (I cut some thin open wrenches in half to have just the sizes I need, less bulk than a generic dive tool and function better), a small pair of cutters for zip ties, o-rings and brass pick, silicon lube and a couple of first stage port plugs. I also set up a Picquic screwdriver handle with the allen and screwdriver heads specific to my rig. I usually add my leatherman as well.

I've used all of it at one time or another on boat dives/cenotes/live-a-boards. I've even replaced tank o-rings for other divers (especially in Cozumel where the tanks are often supplied by fill houses and not the dive shop you signed on with).

I use a small plastic food container to store it all for weight and durability. I used to use a Pelican case but it was overkill. It gets carried in a small drybag that goes on the boat with me where I stash my phone, wallet, glasses etc when I'm diving. Added use is I use the drybag as a handle for my fins providing one carry point for everything. Keeps my stuff dry while walking in water to and from the boat (see my profile picture)

It all goes in my check-on bag as the airlines don't seem to want to let you on the plane with tools lol.

Attachments

• snaplid.jpg
    snaplid.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 46
09993040 (Custom).jpg

For UW 'accessories' I always carry a whistle (on my inflator), knife (on my BCD shoulder strap) and a signal mirror & DSMB either clipped to my BCD or in a pocket depending on the rig I'm diving. Some dives I even put those in a waist pouch I modified for diving (lots of grommets for drainage). Can't wear it with a weight belt but it works great with my weight integrated travel BCD. basically it's my WHERES THE BOAT?!? bag lol

Again I'm wearing that pouch in my profile pic along with my BCD and tank. Having the right stuff with you doesn't mean you have to look like a fully decorated Christmas tree :wink:

When drift diving or in open ocean areas (no land in sight) I also add my Nautilus LifeLine to the pouch. Never had to use it but it's nice to know it's there.

I forget to add that I do have a backup mask that I bring, just not necessarily to the dive site, as I have bifocals to better see my gauges as well as small things up close. I’m debating going mono vision with the mask (one side near, the other side far) but have to get used to it topside first.

I forget to add that I do have a backup mask that I bring, just not necessarily to the dive site, as I have bifocals to better see my gauges as well as small things up close. I’m debating going mono vision with the mask (one side near, the other side far) but have to get used to it topside first.

If you have a two lens mask SeaVision USA can make you a set of lenses that incorporate your entire prescription. Not the glue in lenses that you see elsewhere but ground lenses that completely replace the glass in your mask. They've made a couple of sets for me over the years as my eyes change and they're the ultimate solution to prescription masks.

You can either use one of their mask skirts or send them your own.

Back
Top Bottom