Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How in the world does someone get that job when they are so unknowledgeable about how the winds affect the island?

How in the world does someone get that job when they are so unknowledgeable about how the winds affect the island?

Think Clear Lake Shores PD in Galveston County. Turns out it is a private company (the Police dept) who supports the chicken crap little excuse for a city.

Dave (a victim)

Think Clear Lake Shores PD in Galveston County. Turns out it is a private company (the Police dept) who supports the chicken crap little excuse for a city.

Dave (a victim)

I sense someone getting some speeding tickets!!!!

I sense someone getting some speeding tickets!!!!

Worse than that, but not too ugly. I will fry their ass in court after I get past their Kangaroo court in Clear Lake Shores. Sorry I brought that up but it just demonstrates the power that assholes can gain, either in Mexico or here in Texas. IT is not just Mexico's problem, that is my point!

Dave

I won't disparage the new harbor master because I don't know her, but in my business I quite frequently encounter puffed up petty bureaucrats whose only power is to say "no".

A 14 page thread (and climbing) about port closure? Think I’ll make a coffee table book from the posts :stirpot:

Yes, but there are plenty of other foreign countries that would like to have our dollars, also a fact which is far too often not grasped or ignored.
Isn't that just a little simplistic? How many of those other countries are within a few hours travel distance from the USA/Canada, have warm weather and beaches? Let alone the infrastructure (such as it as, with all the associated negatives) to handle the demand?

The best dives I've had were last summer in Indonesia (made me realize how badly the Mesoamerican reef is doing by comparison). But it's a trifle difficult to get there from here. You're welcome to spend winters in Gaspé or Port Hardy, but I can barely speak Spanish; I'm not going to attempt French. Neither am I a big fan of drysuit diving and anti-icing regulators.

Granted, that's a bit facetious; there are other places in the Caribbean. Not too many with the capacity of Quintana Roo, though.

Isn't that just a little simplistic? How many of those other countries are within a few hours travel distance from the USA/Canada, have warm weather and beaches? Let alone the infrastructure (such as it as, with all the associated negatives) to handle the demand?

The best dives I've had were last summer in Indonesia (made me realize how badly the Mesoamerican reef is doing by comparison). But it's a trifle difficult to get there from here. You're welcome to spend winters in Gaspé or Port Hardy, but I can barely speak Spanish; I'm not going to attempt French. Neither am I a big fan of drysuit diving and anti-icing regulators.

Granted, that's a bit facetious; there are other places in the Caribbean. Not too many with the capacity of Quintana Roo, though.

About as equally simplistic as the quote to which I was responding. I don't get to call the shots in another country. I get that. But when I encounter the attitude of "shut up, we don't care what you think about what we do" when what they do directly affects me when I am there, then I'll start looking for somewhere else to go. If Coz wants to adopt the arrogant attitude that they are unique and tourists have no alternative, that's fine. I won't be giving a rat's behind what the harbor master in Cozumel does when I am in Belize, Bonaire, Caymans, Costa Rica, Curacao, etc. Gee, I didn't even get past the letter "C".

About as equally simplistic as the quote to which I was responding. I don't get to call the shots in another country. I get that. But when I encounter the attitude of "shut up, we don't care what you think about what we do" when what they do directly affects me when I am there, then I'll start looking for somewhere else to go. If Coz wants to adopt the arrogant attitude that they are unique and tourists have no alternative, that's fine. I won't be giving a rat's behind what the harbor master in Cozumel does when I am in Belize, Bonaire, Caymans, Costa Rica, Curacao, etc. Gee, I didn't even get past the letter "C".

I get it, there are a few inconsistent or questionable actions that have directly effected tourism. I wish there was a board or group that better understood these things - there is a group that meets that has all the leaders from the different industries here - I'm not sure what they are tasked with or how much influence they have on things.

The closing of the marine park with a two week notice - if it had been a six month notice and a much more transparent process, it would have went over 100% better. Whether it helped or not, whatever the underling reason - transparency and notice make people feel comfortable.

The "retraining" of a Harbor Master baffles me but who knows how turnover of power goes here. The fact that they reopened the port yesterday, in my mind is huge - that's as close as you'll get to an admission of fault.

But...... What you folks not living here don't see is the crackdown with the police and immigration. The police are responding quickly to social media posts when tourists have problems, they were doing traffic stops looking for stolen motos, they do sweeps thru tourist areas making sure vendors have the proper credentials - they've made it known that this is to be a more tourist friendly island. Immigration - don't work here without the correct paperwork, they are rounding them up and sending them home.

Is it perfect? No. Are they trying? Yes. Every destination in the world has it's own issues. This little place that we love is working on it in their own way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom