Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check with Aldora and see if they got any boats out for east side diving.

The new HM shut down East side diving - she's making lots of friends. You notice the last Norte there was no chatter about East side diving???

Flying out tomorrow so no diving anyway but the port is closed?????
It’s calm out there, windy but very smooth. Christmas Day was worse and we got to dive.

sad to note the wind forecasts are not looking favourable

The new HM shut down East side diving - she's making lots of friends. You notice the last Norte there was no chatter about East side diving???

when the port is closed, it’s the whole island. They just overlooked Aldora’s east side antics. They did might be more appropriate

Thanks, Chuck. Yeah, I noticed there was no chatter, but I thought that since it was over the holidays that maybe Aldora was booked and so wasn't advertising.

When you say she, "shut down east side diving", what does that entail? All boats have to return once the port is closed, so even if they get out ahead of time, they can't be anchored off the east side? That seems a bit draconian.

Remind me please, are there any decent entry points for shore diving on the east side? Or does this also fall under the "all aquatic activities" ban when the port is closed?

It doesn't seem like boats have to go back immediately after the port is closed. I've been sitting on my balcony watching dive boats head back all morning, seems like they were able to finish morning dives.

Thanks, Chuck. Yeah, I noticed there was no chatter, but I thought that since it was over the holidays that maybe Aldora was booked and so wasn't advertising.

When you say she, "shut down east side diving", what does that entail? All boats have to return once the port is closed, so even if they get out ahead of time, they can't be anchored off the east side? That seems a bit draconian.

Remind me please, are there any decent entry points for shore diving on the east side? Or does this also fall under the "all aquatic activities" ban when the port is closed?

I understand, as much as that's possible, it means all aquatic activities. It might be dead calm outside the Villa Aldora and technically we can't shore dive. @Christi is more intune with the rules.

I can sort of get closed on the west side means closed everywhere - all marinas are on the west side so in case of an emergency, you have to go thru the weather to get back to port...

I have never shore dove on the east side so unsure about that.

Just for the record:

With the new Harbor Master, who is faced with all kinds of pressure right now (port closure with SE winds) we did not intend to completely stop eastside diving, just waiting for things to settle down before approaching her. She has only been in office for a few days and at this point, no one has said NO.

There are many reasons why we should be allowed to dive there and after she settles in we will approach the issue for clarification.

Dave Dillehay

PS Aldora's efforts to provide east side diving can hardly be called "antics". Aldora has been doing it for 15 years in what is truly an altruistic attempt to provide diving for those who would miss out on their once a year trip. Fact is, giving the logistics it costs much more to do that than Aldora takes in.

OMG!
If the port is closed in this wind direction, the port will be closed half the year!

Does anyone know where the harbor master's office is? Are regular people protesting or just operators?

Back
Top Bottom