Dive Computer wrist mount or console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can recommend a bungee mount for a wrist computer.
I have a DSS version that allows the watch strap to stay in place.
With 1 strap and 2 bungees, nothing needs to be tight to stay put.
I prefer it mid forearm as opposed to the wrist.
My computer can use 4 transmitters, but I have yet to add one.
So far I don't mind doing spg checks at 20min., 40min. and 50min.
I like having dive time and depth available at a glance and found that I was distracted without it.
I find it hard to estimate dive time and end up checking a console too often or worse, not enough. Once dive time was always available I was surprised at the lack of anxiety I felt. Seems it was more distracting than I thought. If you decide on a console, at least get a watch so you can schedule it's usage.

Cheers!

As far a Doing It Right goes, whatever works best for YOU (within reason) is RIGHT.

Hi M2,

I agree with you. If it works for you it is RIGHT!

I like a wrist mount. I dive solo occasionally so I keep my AI computer on a HP hose. It is clipped to a retractor. I like them both, but the Perdix AI is my go-to.

It is easier to use and handy. I don't need to position it under my reading lens as it can be read without optical aids.

cheers,
m

Pro:
Console: one less thing to remember packing or pre dive

Console: almost no chance you could lose it during a dive

Wrist: Can always be on you, not ½ way across the boat

Wrist: You can more easily take it with you if you are still one of those that log dives

Con:
Console: gets banged up when dive staff are rushing to get your gear from you and back onto the boat or setting up for 2nd dive. Scratches the plastic protective glass

Wrist: Another piece of equipment to remember, put on, etc

Wrist: Putting it on before BC, can give you trouble threading your arm in/out BC arm hole

Wrist mount.

Need to watch depth and TTS closely to make sure I stay within the known and anticipated parameters of my dive plan.

Fishing around for a console is an unnecessary movement on deeper dives, IMO.

My SPG is on my left shoulder D-ring so all I need to do is dip my head to check my mileage.

I appreciate all the discussion.

My take-away is that there are no compelling reasons to go with either! As a still inexperienced diver, I'll probably go with an AI console (bunjied to my waist/chest). Wouldn't be surprised to add a (probably AI) wrist mount later.

Thanks again.

My take-away is that there are no compelling reasons to go with either! As a still inexperienced diver, I'll probably go with an AI console (bunjied to my waist/chest). Wouldn't be surprised to add a (probably AI) wrist mount later.

Thanks again.

Try it if it works you then its right.

When I first started I had a cobra so console AI. I discovered I personally like wrist better so the cobra got clipped off as a backup SPG and computer with my vyper air on my wrist as my primary. Now I dive a perdix AI ony wrist with a regular SPG clipped to my side as a backup

Personal preference.

Thanks again.
Listen, before you go get that console mount. Re read the comments. After you do and your still set on going console, ok. Just think your money would be better spent on a wrist mounted computer. You ever heard the saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink?

Glenn

Wrist mount most definitely.

Just add the habit of attaching to your BC when taking it off during wetsuit changes. It will save you the headache if you forget to put it back on your wrist before jumping in. Forgot once last week while in the Caymans. Just continued descent and removed from BC and put on wrist once over a hard bottom. No dive interruption.

Reactions: tep
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom