1st Drysuit Dive and My Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest the use of talc; or, whatever they're currently using as a substitute -- corn starch -- if that concerns you (just don't huff it), to ease your hands through the wrist and / or neck seals. They can be very easy to tear; and you'll learn that drysuit repairs do not come cheaply . . .

I tried talc, it works if everything is dry, or at least helps. Once its wet that's it. I have read KY Jelly or the equivalent will work better for neoprene seals. I'll give that a shot, but they really need to be stretched some more.

A simple mix of baby shampoo and water when sprayed on your wrists can also help the seals slide over.

Also less looks at the register I would imagine.... interesting as I think that's my current mix for de-fog, lol

One other thing I forgot to mention about my dive. I had a hard time reaching my D rings. With 5mm gloves on it's a pita anyway, but it seemed like the suit bunched up at the elbow and made it hard to reach. I have the same issue in a 7mm farmer john wetsuit.

I also had my first dry-suit dive not long ago and there was a 2 minutes period where i wanted to die because of extremely uncomfortable and downright painful compression around my minime :confused:

Thankfully i was able to work it out after i got a slight hang of how to disperse the air with in the suit

I also had my first dry-suit dive not long ago and there was a 2 minutes period where i wanted to die because of extremely uncomfortable and downright painful compression around my minime :confused:

Thankfully i was able to work it out after i got a slight hang of how to disperse the air with in the suit

Lol, does not sound like fun. I did not have that issue, but I found it pretty different to feel the squeeze at my feet while being vertical on the surface. I can only imagine what that would feel like down below.

For sure I need more practice in the suit. I really wish the viz was better I would have changed tanks and explored more:/

One other thing I forgot to mention about my dive. I had a hard time reaching my D rings. With 5mm gloves on it's a pita anyway, but it seemed like the suit bunched up at the elbow and made it hard to reach. I have the same issue in a 7mm farmer john wetsuit.

Anybody have any remedies for the above? Dry gloves might help dexterity but I'll just have to deal with it for now. I wish I had taken a picture of my setup, but I'm 99% sure everything is where it's supposed to be, might need the shoulder straps a tad more loose.

You may be better off with poor viz, it will force you to concentrate on the suit while you learn how to use it.

This is a thick neoprene suit if I remember right, if so the thickness can make things feel different and you’ll learn how to work with it, maybe move the D-rings down a bit and practice. The right undergarments will help with a bit of slip and slide to help your movements. You may want to try some conditioner rather than shampoo on the wrist seals, it slides better and last a little longer.

Anybody have any remedies for the above? Dry gloves might help dexterity but I'll just have to deal with it for now. I wish I had taken a picture of my setup, but I'm 99% sure everything is where it's supposed to be, might need the shoulder straps a tad more loose.
A bit more slack in the harness as well as a tad more air in the suit may help it slide more easily over your torso for flexibility. Think like shrink wrapping before and after you've pricked the bag. Disclaimer, don't prick your bag :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom