What's your hand signal for decompression?

• Pinky finger

• Hawaiian hang loose

• Either

• Deco?.. You mean Home Depot?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadly, the deco hand signal is not taught or even mentioned in the recreation diving curriculum in SE Asia.

The deco sign is pinky for me. But either way, I think it is a crucial matter of communicating to the guests and the crew during the dive briefing which signal to use for what. I usually use my hand palm down and raise it with gap stops to signal shallow up once the NDL on my dive comp hits a certain number.

But I do know what hand signal to use after I specifically told my dive buddy to make sure he watches the computer and don't go into deco but he ended up with deco anyway.

Well, but in case of accidentally (for whatever reason) incurring a deco obligation, it will suffice that the guide communicates to stop for some given time. I do not think it is a big problem not to teach a specific sign in OWD courses to be honest.

it will suffice that the guide communicates to stop for some given time.
Not everyone dives with a guide, and if they do, it is not likely they will go into deco.

I don't recall learning a hand signal. I point to my computer, indicate I'm ascending a little bit and leveling off (thumbs up, hand flat - if you get my meaning). But maybe the pinky thing is the way to go? Throwing a shaka is how I indicate I'm super excited in Hawaii! Sorry - don't have time to read the entire thread.

Here is a well known GUE trained tech diver, who now owns one of the best DIR minded Tech training agencies (Innerspace Explorers) doing Hawaiian to indicate deco at 2:45 and then again at 6:05.

Uh hum , now you know why he is no longer GUE. No such hand signal as the Hawaiian for deco.

I can not remember being taught any hand signal in any of my classes, including a recreational class which BITD included deco. For semi-unplanned deco which has occurred for my wife and I when diving, we have simply used the level off signal followed by the depth. We do the same for a safety stop.

OK so if diving without a guide, just substitute the word "guide" for "buddy". Point is, one will manage to communicate this, I am quite sure. Even more as unplanned deco in the vast majority of cases just means a few minutes at 3m that vanish anyhow on ascent.

When I did deco it was only me and a buddy, I'd just showed him my slate with the plan on it and point to the relevant part. Since I stopped deco diving before there were classes for it I never learned the shaking pinky sign.

Just to clarify, the pinky doesn't shake. You just raise the pinky, observe that your buddy saw it, then signal the number of minutes. Your buddy should return the signs.

If everyone on the team knows whatever method you're going to use, including your slate, that's what's important. Generally any communication method is only as good as the prior communication defining the signs. A raised pinky will mean nothing during a dive unless a diver has been briefed or is familiar.

Clear, simple, previously agreed signals are the key. My personal preference is:

1 Flat hand looping up + digits = next stop depth
2 Flat hand 'level out' + digits = hold stop for Xmin
3 Repeat above for all subsequent stops

I may use pinky for TTS, but not often as any deco should be previously planned. Really only to keep track of buddy if their schedule differs.

Those are all the same ones my French TDI instructor taught me.

Back
Top Bottom