Cheap Chinese Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked around without success. Definitely something to try to get, but I'm not super worried about buoyancy issues and getting things perfect. I just want to try this stuff out in slightly chillier waters (mostly springs, perhaps North Carolina). I personally feel more comfortable with a (Chinese) neoprene suit overall because if it fails catastrophically, I've still got decent insulation to keep me cozy.

For emphasis, I'm mostly getting this to dip my toes into drysuit diving in Florida. And of course, I understand the non-existent warranty/service. I'm mostly a DIY guy anyways, and will mod this as needed.

AS...

Buoyancy should be a prime concern...and how well insulated do you think you're going to be if you do have a ''catastrophic failure''...your words...if a seam fails and the suit floods...your buoyancy is gone...you're instantly cold/frigid...and you're in a world of hurt...very quickly...

The only thing you're going to find out for sure with this suit is...you get what you pay for...

The first problem you're going to have with the suit...is correct size...with this type of ordering...receiving a suit that fits you properly will be more by accident than good planning...

If these kinds of products were good...we'd all be using them and the positive reviews would be evident...

Good luck with your DIY...

W.W...

AS...

Buoyancy should be a prime concern...and how well insulated do you think you're going to be if you do have a ''catastrophic failure''...your words...if a seam fails and the suit floods...your buoyancy is gone...you're instantly cold/frigid...and you're in a world of hurt...very quickly...

The only thing you're going to find out for sure with this suit is...you get what you pay for...

The first problem you're going to have with the suit...is correct size...with this type of ordering...receiving a suit that fits you properly will be more by accident than good planning...

If these kinds of products were good...we'd all be using them and the positive reviews would be evident...

Good luck with your DIY...

W.W...
Ah yes, the buoyancy of the 8mm neoprene will be gone instantly if the suit is flooded, this totally makes sense..
No.

AS...

if a seam fails and his suit floods.....doesnt he just have a wetsuit at that point?

i mean drysuits of all makes fail....ive never heard of it being terribly dangerous....just an inconvenience.

Buoyancy should remain the same correct?....water is weightless in water....and your BC should be controlling buoyancy

i mean sure if hes in 30* water i could see a pretty immediate risk if hypothermia......but 50-60+ water you should be fine for a while (at least long enough to make a SS and get out of the water)

AS...
W.W...
To preface this, I respect your experience and words of caution. Buuut, to restate it a third time, I will be using this primarily in 72 degree water and I've got plenty of backup buoyancy (like 50 lbs of lift from my nomad xt as I'm neutrally buoyant with my 5mm and two steel LP85s). While I'm sure there might be some variation on sizing and whatnot, I gave them many measurements and the suit is (at least advertised and is evidently from past messaging) custom-sized. This is a neoprene wetsuit which means that a good portion of it's insulation should be fine in a flooding.

I'm not saying that I'm immune from bad things happening. I'm not saying that this would be a good idea in 40 degree water, or in a long caving expedition, or at 250 ft of depth. What I'm saying is that I've got ample fudge-factor for playing around in this thing in the stomping-grounds of Florida. And sure, this might go south (faked or screwed up sizing, I get a damaged product, etc.) but within reason, I'm going to be safe with this product going at a slow and steady pace.

Buoyancy should remain the same correct?....water is weightless in water....and your BC should be controlling buoyancy)
Correct, loosing buoyancy is a myth. However, you will get cold because you loose a lot of insulation. In warm water with no deco obligation that won't be too much of a problem, just an inconvenience.

Imo this kind of suit is far from complicated to make. Could be a fine suit for this money, you will find out soon enough I guess.

I got the suit in the mail today. Smells like paint thinner (probably acetone), and looks like a good quality suit, especially considering the pricepoint and all. I can't quite verify all of the points, but it does look custom-sized. The boots are labelled size 11, when I gave parameters for 10 1/2s (not a complaint but an observation), but that's the only discrepancy I've seen. They are nice and thick compared to the ones I've been using for years. I gingerly put on some of the suit (feet in boots, one arm in a seal), but am not going to stick my head in the neck seal or close it until my gf gets home to observe/assist. the height seems about perfect, with the wrist seal is just a tad bit tight (which is good, I can stretch it later if needed). The inflation/exhaust port are labled 'scubatec usa', but something tells me it has nothing to do with the USA :) . Haven't really found anything bad yet. Zipper is going to need to be broken in and waxed (have a wax block coming in the mail soon), til then I'm being nice and gentle with it.

Obviously more tests to do, but so far things are looking great so far. Biggest question is whether it will seal properly and if I need to make modifications for it to be sufficient. Not yet, but I can already see getting some pockets and a P-valve installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20200117_155737.jpg
    IMG_20200117_155737.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 175
you generally want boots to be slightly larger so you have room for thick wool or thinsulate/polartec socks. seals usually come untrimmed, and you either can stretch them out a little or trim them.

you generally want boots to be slightly larger so you have room for thick wool or thinsulate/polartec socks. seals usually come untrimmed, and you either can stretch them out a little or trim them.
That's what I figured with the boots. Without taking into the water, is there a good way to find out how stretched or trimmed the seals should be? My current plan is to try to wear it for a few minutes, see if I have any circulation issues or discomfort, and stretch accordingly. Same thing with the neck seal except more conservative. All of this with help from somebody else in the room.

wear it for a few minutes and see if you get any ligature marks. I generally run my seals a little on the tight side so I do get some faint marks, but it should only feel snug and not constricting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom