Best regulator. No money limit!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That has not been my experience; perhaps I am always moving through currents; and that venting aspect usually was a selling point to friends who later tried them, after more conventionally designed regs . . .
Mainly annoying when hovering still on stops and especially when looking forward, half face full of bubbles. When swimming and looking slightly down no worse than other regs. Most traditional regs do have short exhaust tees that are also annoying when not moving and looking forward but in my subjective experience not as bad as Poseidon. I’ve heard others claim they prefer side exhaust for bubble reduction but unfortunately for me it has been the opposite. I’ve also been spoiled by Atomic M1 exceptionally wide and curved tee.

Mainly annoying when hovering still on stops and especially when looking forward, half face full of bubbles. When swimming and looking slightly down no worse than other regs. Most traditional regs do have short exhaust tees that are also annoying when not moving and looking forward but in my subjective experience not as bad as Poseidon. I’ve heard others claim they prefer side exhaust for bubble reduction but unfortunately for me it has been the opposite.

Interesting . . .

My equally subjective experience has been quite the opposite, even after dives, over the years, on several yup-scale Scubapros; Apeks; and one Atomic, the T3. My only analogous experience of what you described, occurred with the Triton, a discontinued model, from about twenty years ago; but its design and venting was far more conventional. Perhaps different diving habits; different environments.

My avatar, taken while on a deep stop, in relatively still waters, clearly has my reg venting away from me. My full face mask, built in a similar vein, often used for work, also doesn't vent in front of me.

Vive la différence; bonne année . . .

I've seen 3 on one reg before, they continued their dive with no apparent distress. The second question was tongue in cheek, the tour guide had one long hose left, with 3 already using a single cylinder. See, instead of teaching her divers the best way not to burn their air, she would just hand them a long hose and continue diving.

I've seen a lot of things.

VEE DIFE UNTIL ALL ZEE GAZ IZ GONE!!!

That's a hardcore dive master!
I'm familiar with, and appreciate your sense as well as your sense of humour.
I'm sure I don't have enough time to imagine half the stuff you've seen!

Cheers

So if a cut lp hose can drain a cylinder in minutes, what are the chances of ANY first stage not providing enough gas for 4 divers let alone 2 or 1?
How deep are they?
What pressure is the cylinder at?
How hard are they breathing?
What is the water temp?

No need to reply, as I don't have specific answers that cover all those variables, but your question assumes an overly simplistic valid answer is available. It is not.

Best at what? Staying power, parts availability, longevity, the USD/AL Conshelf series get my vote. The Kirby Morgan is based on it and parts will be available probably as long as the sun will shine. The Conshelf can be tuned easily to breath on par with just about anything and it is dirt simple and absolutely reliable, and I think I already said durable, if not, it is durable. The SP 109 could run a close second but for the odd plastic bits I cannot find at Ace Hardware or make with my whittling knife. Or maybe the VDH Argonaut Kraken, basically a Conshelf with twin hoses and some other clever engineering to boost the performance:

IMG-2518.jpg

The problem with a lot of the off brand regs is parts availability 10 or 20 years from now. I sort of like the DGX rig otherwise and it looks to be a good value.

N

The older of my MK5/109 was built in 1975 and I am still using it. Of course upgraded with latest parts of MK10/G260, conical seat on 1st stage, balanced and S-wing poppet on 2nd.
I do not know of any other reg so well supported for so many years...
If I had no money limit, I would search for one MK5/109 in special black series, new and unused. Sometimes they appear on sale as collector items.
But, as I always employ dual valves, then I would need a second reg (not an octopus).
For that I would buy a new D420, and match it with a MK25 evo.
So you can use simultaneously the oldest and the newest one...

How deep are they?
What pressure is the cylinder at?
How hard are they breathing?
What is the water temp?

No need to reply, as I don't have specific answers that cover all those variables, but your question assumes an overly simplistic valid answer is available. It is not.

Say 260ft, twice rec limits.
The cylinder has more than intermediate pressure...
The divers are stressed but the water is still warm enough to be liquid.

As nemrod infers, the best was probably done near 50 yrs ago and are practically indistinguishable compared to any of the popular sets today.

Oh, I know the SP 109 and the Conshelf XIV are supposedly NLA new. But the OP said no money limit. It is easy to buy either of these regulators used and rebuild them to better than new. All it takes is money and with unlimited money any thing can be accomplished nearly so.

I do not know for sure if the Conshelf is actually NLA. I am sure if the US Navy Seals asked for a container truck full of them that AL would find a way to comply, of course, the Navy can buy billions dollars carriers that are equal to the GNP of Italy each, so they have unlimited money available apparently.

A full titanium Conshelf XIV, okay, dreaming, leaving that foolishness behind, the G260, the G250 and current clones, the AL Titan LX or current equivalent, anything Atomic.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom