Zeagle Octo Z and dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Risk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Zeagle Escape BC (about 20 years old). I'd like to upgrade it a bit by adding the Octo Z combo inflator. The regulator and primary are ScubaPro.

Will changing the inflator to an Octo Z remove the dump valve capability I currently have? Or will the dump valve still work with the Octo Z?

And what is involved in installing the Octo Z? The Zeagle Escape does not have a screw end on the corrugated hose - just plain, held on by two wire ties (that's how they were manufactured back then).

I used to have an Octo Z.
There is an adapter that attaches to the corrugated hose with zip ties. The Octo Z screws onto this adapter. The Octo Z has its own low pressure inflater hose that you should use.
If you hook everything together properly the dump valve should remain functional.

What about the hose from the regulator? Do I need a special fitting for it? It currently quick connects to the Zeagle power inflator on my BC.

You will disconnect your present inflator from the corrugated hose and attach the above-mentioned adaptor to the corrugated hose with zip ties. There should be a pin in that adaptor to attach the wire for the dump valve.

You will unscrew the current low pressure power inflator hose from the low pressure port of the first stage and substitute it with the low pressure inflator hose provided with the Octo Z.

You then screw the Octo Z onto the adaptor and attach the provided low pressure inflator hose to the Octo Z via the quick connect.

Probably will be directions provided with the Octo Z or online.

Sounds pretty straightforward. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
I think the one thing you will lose is the ability to operate the left shoulder dump while breathing from the Octo Z on an OOA emergency ascent. Does your BC have any other dump valves? Think through your worst case scenario now, as your muscle memory could betray you if the SHTF with a new gear configuration.

I think the one thing you will lose is the ability to operate the left shoulder dump while breathing from the Octo Z on an OOA emergency ascent.

Why? You can still pull on it while keeping the mouthpiece in your mouth.

I'm pretty sure Escape has a back dump valve (I have one at home as backup although I dive Stiletto), but those are not very useful when you are vertical and have to dump air quickly.

Why? You can still pull on it while keeping the mouthpiece in your mouth.

I've never tried what you suggest, but trying to picture it I suspect you would not get enough traction on the dump valve cable to open the valve without pulling the Octo Z out of your mouth. At the very least it would be awkward, IMO.
I'm not a fan of this type of dump personally, but if I were using an Octo Z and breathing off it and needed to use the dump, I would take the Octo Z out of my mouth for the short time it would take to dump some air.

I'm not a fan of this type of dump personally, but if I were using an Octo Z and breathing off it and needed to use the dump, I would take the Octo Z out of my mouth for the short time it would take to dump some air.

I would do the same. I would take it out of mouth, and use the deflate button first. My understanding is that the shoulder dump is used for very rapid dumping in order to stop uncontrolled ascent. It's certainly possible to find yourself in a scenario when a buddy is OOA and also attempts to bolt for the surface, hopefully you'll be able to reach his corrugated hose and pull on it, as I suspect his BC would be more of an issue.

In either case, I like my Octo Z a lot, it offers advantages every time I dive, vs. hypothetical disadvantages in an unlikely event of many things going wrong at the same time.

Inflator dump valves are opened by a cable threaded inside the corrugated hose that is stretched when you pull the inflator out from your BCD, not by pulling the hose itself. "Add on" style octo inflators need to be removed from the mouth to pull the hose.

Oceanic and Aqualung provide a mid-point connection in the hose to allow pulling the dump while breathing from the octo. Scubapro has a small release button on the shoulder valve itself. There may be other solutions out there, but those are ones I know of.

Back
Top Bottom