Excess baggage costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air Asia and Cebu Pacific has really cheap flights, especially when they have promos, about 40% cheaper then full service airlines. But after you add all the extras it pretty close to the price of the full service airline and you are not dealing with budget airline staff who are dealing with you like cattle.
I do travel with check in luggage and do pick a seat that I would fit in. That's why flying Garuda, Malaysia Air and Philippines airlines when I can.

I travel from Lisbon to Jakarta this year and Luftansa Charge me 250 euros each flight for a extra bag with 23KG. I travel always alone with 2 bags one with photography equipment. For next year Turkish Airline because only charge 90 euros. Garuda is nice because give you 30KG + 23KG for a dive equipment bag.

Qatar tried to charge me 530 € for an additional suitcase a few years ago (Shanghai-Doha-Oslo).
Randomly I asked what business class upgrade costed (which included another suitcase), 540€...
No doubt what I did!

It's the cost of getting there with dive equipment. I try to fly Garuda or Malaysian or Singapore (not Silk) when I can. I have been known to book a business class ticket because it was cheaper than excess baggage costs plus the economy fare. Lion, Wings, Nam don't have that option. I can pretty much keep my gear and clothes to under 30 kg. That includes the heavy bracket, arms, etc for my UW camera. Diving is not an inexpensive hobby. I did learn that if you speak some Bahasa, are male and cute, you can sweet talk your way out of the excess baggage charges. (Didn't try it because I'm not male and don't speak Bahasa.)

Silk air charged me $100 for my dive equipment from Singapore to Manado, Sulawesi.

Was this as extra weight gear or specifically dive gear? Flying that route in April but looking to pre purchase extra weight. But not if they’re charging for dive gear anyway

As an FYI, Delta made more off of baggage fees last year than ticket sales...it ain’t gonna get any better!

I guess I have it pretty good. Standard included baggage with no additional fee for intl flights from SFO (to Indo, as an example) on all carriers I have taken is 2 bags at 23kg each if you have no status. It’s more weight per bag and an extra bag if you have status . It’s the local carriers, once I arrive, that charge me for bags per kg. Some local carriers include 20-23 kg free (Batik, Wings, Garuda) plus 23kg free scuba gear (Garuda). If you need more or if some flights don’t provide any baggage, prepaid baggage paid for in advance is generally pretty reasonable. It’s much more if you buy it at the airport or close to flight or check in time. In my experience, it’s cheaper than paying for domestic baggage in the US without status.

with that said I’m an efficient packer. I carry a 7kg backpack, a 15kg camera bag as my carry on. I always get a pass on the weight with the camera equipment given electronics/fragility with the 7kg total limits. I then usually get my 1 checked bag to be about 23kg including dive gear, clothing, toiletries. Sometimes I have a 2nd bag that is about 5-7 kg if I need warmer layers.

Excess luggage is never an issue for me. I only travel economy class and mainly on budget airline as well. If I have to pay for the check bag then so be it. 7kg max in my hand carry and never have to stuff anything in my pocket. That is NOT cricket.

What really up set me is when passenger arguing with the check in staff on excess luggage. Pay up and move on!
Luggage allowance is clearly written but plenty passengers tend to ignore it and try to find a way to avoid paying the excess. Bunch of cheap Charlie.

Was this as extra weight gear or specifically dive gear? Flying that route in April but looking to pre purchase extra weight. But not if they’re charging for dive gear anyway

Extra baggage.
I had two items. My regular suit case which weighed about 25 and then my dive bag that weighed 18kg. They charged me for weight above my allowance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom