Favorite dive spots-reasonable distance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where did you get rack certification? St Croix sounds better and better.

Married 21 years now
No certification necessary
It’s the skillz that pays the billz
Besides, The certification agencies these days simply can’t teach the rack diving skills that years of experience give you.

I’d be happy to give you a few tips but won’t give away all my secrets

I haven't been recently but I thought that it was easier to get to Curacao than to Bonaire and you don't have to go via Aruba. Curacao is larger and more developed and there are probably more flights to Curacao than Bonaire.

But @diversteve can give you more recent information about Curacao.

Delta goes direct from Atlanta to Bonaire. However, you have to go through Aruba to get to Curaçao with Delta. Is it the opposite with other airlines?

Curacao is a bigger version of Bonaire with very similar diving, Should be easier/cheaper for you to get there,

Almost all the beaches are also dive sites with on-site operators. They also have several drive-up rebtal locations across the island. And day boat trips toKlein Curacao.

Turks/Caicos is as expensive as Cayman, All deep walldiving but virtually no shore dives.

Rocio Del Mar does the Sea of Cortez Midriff Islands (NOT Socorros) during the summer months, Lots of sealife, sharks, occassional whales (no diving) and they visit a sealiob rookery. Nice thing about that trip is you fly into Phoenix and take their shuttle to the boat in Puero Penasco - about a 4-6 hr ride depending on customs, It may be warm as late as October

Hawaii is also very good diving. Not the soft corals you are used to but I've seen acres of hard coral off some islands, Also the Lava tubes extend into the water - always something moving on the ceiling - often octos. I've seen scools of butterflies and tangs numbering in the thousands off Lanai. And lots of reef sharks, Plus an occasional Manta flies by, My buddy dove with 100's of Spinner Dolphins off the big island and you might see a Monk Seal off Kauai.

It's also easy to fly between islands in a week or more. From Maui you can boat dive to Molokini Crater, Lanai, Possibly seee Hammerheads off Molokai plus there's about 15 shore dives, Less on the Big Island or Kauai, I don't go to Oahu,

Long flight for you though but out of LAX/SFO you get there early afternoon with the time change.

Maybe look at Roatan also, it can be very cheap once there. Flights seem higher but food/lodging is hostels on up. Dives are cheap 10/$350 or so. All boat diving except a couple known resorts have a house reef. Lot;s of Bugs...

Any thoughts on Bermuda?
Bermuda is a beautiful island and worth a visit but not really a dive destination. Only a handful of shops and most located at or near a resort. The diving is fine but you go to BDA to enjoy the beauty of the island and take in some dives while there. Not a dive destination though IMHO. Stayed at resort with a dive shop on site. What I thought was special though was the ability to rent a small boston whaler and head out on our own to explore the bays, some small islands and snorkeling on our own (and not a big fan of snorkeling but this was pretty cool). Another time rented part of house through a BDA rental site which was also fun.

I haven't been recently but I thought that it was easier to get to Curacao than to Bonaire and you don't have to go via Aruba. Curacao is larger and more developed and there are probably more flights to Curacao than Bonaire.

But @diversteve can give you more recent information about Curacao.

So, who is good to fly to Curaçao? Delta doesn’t go there, so you have to fly to Aruba first.

We flew to Curacao and back round trip back in January 2019 on American Airlines. We didn't have anything to do with Aruba that trip.

Richard.

Where did you get rack certification? St Croix sounds better and better.

The parents of my tech instructor run Sweet Bottom Dive Center on St. Croix. Transplants from Chicago. They specialize in shore diving, but partner with a charter op for boat dives. Friends have used Sweet Bottom and loved them.

When I was on St. Croix I stopped for a shore dive at Davis Bay with Sweet Bottom Dive Center (onsite), and while I've been blessed with good staff at a number of dive op.s over the years, these people and this operation stood out! With service they hit a home run on value for money.
St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017

When I was on St. Croix I stopped for a shore dive at Davis Bay with Sweet Bottom Dive Center (onsite), and while I've been blessed with good staff at a number of dive op.s over the years, these people and this operation stood out! With service they hit a home run on value for money.
St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017 - St. Croix Research Report Aug. 2017

The Tim Linse you worked with is my tech instructor. He is now the sales manager of DRIS Plainfield, IL location. Talk about helpful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom