Bonaire Night Dive - Advice/Suggestions for First Timers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the thing - virtually No dive site south of town is lighted at night. Except maybe the Pier.
If it is lit, they may be working on it and it seems like discarded sections just get dropped so don't get under that area. If a ship is moored, you can't dive it. e went in just north of the pier between it and the parking area - beach but ironshore to stumble/float over in the surf line,

Habitat seems like a good option as the resort lights the waterfront. The tarpon there will be waiting for you to light dinner and they swoop in fast. There's actually 2 docks there, if you go north from there you will get to Clff also but it's a longer swim. Last time I was there walk=ins were $5.00 but that got you a tank and locker (bring a lock) The dive dock is 25' away - it's all below the main bldg, Drop gear at the turnaround and walk down the ramp. Not the place to be self conscious, the bar overlooks the area,

Personally I would do Bari Reef as a first night dive, Lots to see in the shallows, nice stairs, probably some light from Coco Beach Club on the water south. There's a tiny beach between it and Sand Dollar as an alternate entry.

Habitat has nice stairs, so does Buddy's and Den Laman. If you jump off DL's dock do it at the end, depending on the tide the sides can be as shallow as 3' or so.

"12" Palms is actually 18 Palms, the house reef at the Plaza Resort. Toucan Diving on the south end of the resort stages tanks there. If you go park at the south end (by the dumpsters - you'll see the boats) then drive back out the entrance and take the next left - it might be marked employee lot but will be mostly empty. Grab your gear, walk south along the water till you see the tanks, there might be a little jetty there also. IIRC the entry is south of that See the pool? you went too far....

I would not try the Hooker at night, it's not lit and a pretty rocky entry. Plus you might miss it.

I suggest whatever you choose to dive it during the day first, Alot of dives are better at night since more things hunt and the Orange Cup orals open up.

If you are diving Cliff, Bari Reef, or Yellow Sub in town Dive Friends is your Diveop. Thay have a shop near Cliff, another streetside at Sand Dollar and own the dock at Bari Reef so their boats go out from there. Also at Port Bonaire Condos south of the airport and further south at the new resort down by Punt Vierkant, Tank Exchange at any of them,

+1 on Bari Reef.

The pier (and stairs) is locked at night but if you're with DFB they'll probably tell you the combination. The beach on right is Sand Dollar property and its use by the unwashed is apparently frowned upon. But the entrance from the parking lot left of Den Laman looks OK.

Sand Dollar and Den Laman are lit, the navigation's easy: Buddy Reef on the right, sand on the left, construction rubble means you got as far left as Front Porch (tugboat). But do it as a day dive or three first.

A house reef would be a good start. Buddies or Capt Dons would be ideal. Easy entry and exit and lights all over the resort to guide you back. There are others.

PS If Buddys or Capt Don, you will see tarpon, very active and maybe trying to feed in the beam of your lights. Harmless but a bit disconcerting if not expecting it or having experienced it before.

Agree. Buddy's couldn't be easier, as there is a first-class dock with steps, a protected area to get your bearings, and always many other night divers in the water--it's a very popular night dive site. With experience, one will prefer less crowded sites, especially on night dives, but maybe for one's first night dive seeing other divers pass you in the other direction could be reassuring?

Personally
I was thinking Salt Pier or a place like Buddy's, etc. They look straight forward and seem to be very basic/easy dives with easy entries and all that.
Buddy's= yes; Salt Pier= no.
I wouldn't recommend Salt Pier as a first night dive for anyone and certainly not if you haven't done it during the day first. I do not find the entry and exit particularly easy. It is very ledgy and depending where you enter, it can be a bit of a step down and awkward. Also, for a first night dive, it could be quite disorienting moving back and forth between the pilings.

Maybe it is just me, but I also don't find the Cliff a particularly easy entry or exit, if entering adjacent to the pipeline -- even in the daytime. It is quite filled with holes and ankle breakers. Looking at my log, I have 13 dives at Cliff. Combo of day, night and dawn dives. I love the dive site, but again, I don't consider it an easy entry or exit for a first time night dive.

The dive sites just south of downtown and near the airport are some of the easier entries and exits on the island (Kite City, Windsock, Bachelor Beach).
Wherever you decide to do your first night dive, I would encourage you to get in a day dive there first-- just to provide some familiarization and knowledge of what to expect.

Will Buddy's let you dive if you aren't staying there though? The plus of Bari Reef is public access, even if you're not with DFB and have no key to the pier. And you can swim over to Buddy's if you want, we did on at least one night dive (when you see parked boats, you're at Buddy's).

I wouldn't recommend Salt Pier as a first night dive for anyone and certainly not if you haven't done it during the day first. I do not find the entry and exit particularly easy. It is very ledgy and depending where you enter, it can be a bit of a step down and awkward. Also, for a first night dive, it could be quite disorienting moving back and forth between the pilings.

Agreed. The loose ironshore at Salt Pier can be a PITA. We were entertained one night by two young guys stumbling around like a couple of drunks. One of them fell down and couldn’t get up. Then his buddy fell down helping him to his feet only to fall down again!

I did nightdiving at Bari Reef many times and I actually enjoyed the company of tarpons (see my userpic) or sometimes it was a Schoolmaster or a Snouk. Do not use very powerful lights cause you'll scare everyone away and the sea anemones will collapse as you approach. To see a lot you need to be barely visible yourself.

Agreed. The loose ironshore at Salt Pier can be a PITA. We were entertained one night by two young guys stumbling around like a couple of drunks. One of them fell down and couldn’t get up. Then his buddy fell down helping him to his feet only to fall down again!
LOL-- If not for the fact that I am no longer a young guy, either one of them might have been me. I have done that dance at Salt Pier. I think it has become trickier over the last few years.

No one has mentioned Oil Slick Leap as a night dive option. It definitely comes with its own set of pros and cons though. I wouldn't recommend it to the OP or any other first time night diver, -- but.......
It has more pros than cons for me-- as it is a very familiar dive site for me and I find the giant stride entry and the ladder exit to my liking.
Another positive is that the reef is about 5 fin kicks away, drops off at 25 feet and on a night dive, there is so much to see without going very far from shore or the entry/exit.

So much so, that my group is considering it for our night time Ostracod dive next month.

We made a bunch of night dives from Sand Dollar with black lights. That was great fun and no tarpon.

I've always stayed at Sand Dollar so Bari was a no brainer. I didn't think of Windsock but that's one of my favorites. I was having knee problems last year and really appreciated sandy walk ins. Windsock is one of the easiest entries but you do need to scout it out during the day.

Back
Top Bottom