Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for answering my pretty dumb questions above. I ending up going past the cancelation period and will be in Cozumel in the first week of January. I'm still trying to figure out how to interpret the wind forecasts and just wanted to check how to understand this...Will the high wind speeds be okay because of the direction?

Also I know not to take too much stock in the forecast for these particular days, but I want to be able to track as the time gets closer so I can plan which days we'll be able to dive. View attachment 557222
Your dive shop should be keeping you in the loop and helping you maximize dive days.

When trying to interpret, 1st, look at direction - W, NW, N winds are what we don't want to see - ideal wind is ENE, E, SE regardless of speed

Wind direction can literally change within an hour - so we literally never have a definitive answer until each morning

Just because the wind is ripping at 20mph from The north at 6pm one day is no indication of what it will be doing the following morning at 6am so
Don't get too caught up in trying to
Predict or control your trip based on a forecast 2 weeks out its crazy making

Current conditions.
20191224_080120.jpg

Thanks everyone for answering my pretty dumb questions above. I ending up going past the cancelation period and will be in Cozumel in the first week of January. I'm still trying to figure out how to interpret the wind forecasts and just wanted to check how to understand gthis...Will the high wind speeds be okay because of the direction?

View attachment 557222

A NNE, N, NNW, NW, W... is a no go if winds are generally over 10 but is also based upon future wind of that day (rising, falling...) and the mood of the Harbor Master.
Even Wed the wind is from the NE and is generally OK since very close to shore is semi protected but will be a rougher ride until you get South where the island curves. However, even a few degrees of variation of NE wind direction has a big impact on decision to open port.

A NNE, N, NNW, NW, W... is a no go if winds are generally over 10 but is also based upon future wind of that day (rising, falling...) and the mood of the Harbor Master.
Even Wed the wind is from the NE and is generally OK since very close to shore is semi protected but will be a rougher ride until you get South where the island curves. However, even a few degrees of variation of NE wind direction has a big impact on decision to open port.

EXACTLY

However, current wind is 9 mph out of NW and port is closed - it is pretty windy in town, but I bet it's not so bad in the south

SmartSelect_20191226-145220_Chrome.jpg

:(:(:(I really hope this is the kind of thing that changes last minute but I'm not optimistic

I really hope this is the kind of thing that changes last minute but I'm not optimistic
Well, aside from no one diving that time of night (9pm-6am), that's 9 days out, so anything is possible. It looks like the site expects a hard front to hit out of the north between 6pm and 9pm, but that's just a statistical guess. It could fail or veer off just as easily. Good luck.

upload_2019-12-26_14-45-23.png

Been a remarkable lack of current last few days. Maraciabo was calm as was another site that rarely gets dove due due dangerous currents (never been to before )
30+ lions downed so far, 10 today alone.

The long range forecast indicates no port closure for a whole week at least. Happy New Year!

Dave Dillehay

Now it looks like next Sunday is at risk.

Dave

So did this month set a new record for port closures in December?

Back
Top Bottom