Dive Boat/Shop Expectations: Weight Belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RogueClimber

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For a dive boat/shop that rents BCs with integrated weight pockets, do you expect them to provide weight belts in addition to providing weight?

If they are weight integrated BC’s then no need for a weight belt. If you want to dive a weight belt then you usually have to bring your own belt and put their weights on it.

It is a very big world, all variations are possible, and "usual practice" will likely vary by region. Just ask ahead of time if needed, plan accordingly, and don't expect or demand that everyone is the same.

It is a very big world, all variations are possible, and "usual practice" will likely vary by region. Just ask ahead of time if needed, plan accordingly, and don't expect or demand that everyone is the same.
You hit the nail on the head ask ahead of time. Here in California I’m use to supplying everything myself including weights and tanks for most boats.

Y
Yes. I always bring all my own stuff, though know that's not always possible. And yes, if you dive anywhere that's "cold" you absolutely need both integrated and belt (or else a hell of a lot on belt I guess). Who doesn't have integrated these days anyway?

Who doesn't have integrated these days anyway?
Plenty of tropical destinations with cheapest BCDs available, no integrated weights. All of the brands I carry still offer at least one such low end version, rarely sold for anything but rental gear. Then there are the divers that buy the used rental BCDs...

If it's a location people travel to and they're supplying weights, I would be very surprised if they didn't have weight belts. Just because they rent weight integrated BCs doesn't mean people aren't coming with their own non-integrated BCs. And even people renting may still prefer a belt, or need to put some of their weight on a belt.

Not to mention simple belts are about the cheapest piece of gear.

Someplace not tourist-oriented that is more about local diving, they may not supply anything.

Locally, I take all my stuff. All of it.

When I Travel, I pull the blocks off my belt and roll it up and bring it. It weighs nothing, takes no extra room, and every rental op has blocks of some kind. I just put them onto the belt I know fits (and looks good...), and done.

- K

For a dive boat/shop that rents BCs with integrated weight pockets, do you expect them to provide weight belts in addition to providing weight?

It's been my experience that most dive ops expect some divers to use belts and some to use integrated pouches, so they are prepared for both. That is, even dive ops that rent BCs with integrated pouches will still have weight belts on hand for guests to use when needed.

I think this is what you're asking...

Back
Top Bottom