Outside of Park Rules?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone know if an octopus regulator is required outside of the marine park? Rumor has it that it's required (according to dive boat DMs etc) inside the park but I've never seen it in writing.

I have a few items that I'm considering donating to the Coral Reef Restoration Project but, although I have a couple of regs that I can probably get by without, I'm short on extra second stages and hoses and don't want to donate something that won't get used.

Is there a complete list of rules for the park somewhere? I've only found the basics, such as don't touch the reefs and spear the fish, no gloves or knives, etc. After the loss of Cameron I know at least two places that won't rent gear for solo diving, but I don't know if it's also a rule.

Outside the park the only rule of which I'm aware is no spearfishing on scuba.

Dear Mstevens,

I also heard of the no spearfishing on scuba rule but if you watch the waterfront every morning you will see pangas departing with scuba tanks and big assed spears. Maybe there are some special permit for the commercial fishermen. Or the authorities just overlook it!

Dave Dillehay

I also heard of the no spearfishing on scuba rule but if you watch the waterfront every morning you will see pangas departing with scuba tanks and big assed spears. Maybe there are some special permit for the commercial fishermen. Or the authorities just overlook it!

Wait... what?!?

A rule in Mexico that’s selectively enforced?

Recreational spearfishing on Scuba is illegal. There is a legal exemption for commercial spearfishing on Scuba for members of the fishing cooperatives.

Here are the "outside the park" rules for fishing and spearfishing from my 2017 edition of Cozumel Survival Manual:

"Fishing licenses are required for any type of sport fishing (including spear-fishing) in Cozumel’s waters. The exception is there is no license needed for fishing from shore with a rod and reel or hand-line. These licenses are available at CONAPESCA/SEGARPA in Playa del Carmen at the corner of 1st street south and 20 avenue on the second floor. Their phone number is (984) 803-9726. Licenses for non-citizens are 127 pesos a day, 318 pesos per week, 476 pesos per month, or 635 pesos per year. The license is good anywhere in Mexico. If you are caught fishing without a license, you may be hit with a hefty fine and your equipment confiscated. Capturing fish live for removal to an aquarium is prohibited. Catch and release is encouraged.

The sport fishing bag limits are: No more than 10 fish per day, including no more than 5 of any single species, except marlin, sailfish, swordfish and shark, of which only one specimen from this group is allowed, and which counts 5 towards the overall 10 fish daily limit. A dorado, roosterfish, shad, or tarpon each count as 5 towards the overall 10 fish daily limit, and only 2 fish can be kept daily from this group. Only one rod per person is allowed. Spear fishing is only allowed while skin diving without scuba tanks, and there is a 5 fish daily limit for spear-fishermen. Only rubber-band or spring type harpoons are allowed. No mollusks or crustaceans (including crab, conch, and lobster) may be taken with a sport fishing license. It is illegal to sell fish taken with a sport fishing license. Fish taken may not be filleted aboard. Licenses may be purchased by the day, week, month, or year. Fees range from $12.40 to $67.00"

Here are the "outside the park" rules for fishing and spearfishing from my 2017 edition of Cozumel Survival Manual:

"Fishing licenses are required for any type of sport fishing (including spear-fishing) in Cozumel’s waters. The exception is there is no license needed for fishing from shore with a rod and reel or hand-line. These licenses are available at CONAPESCA/SEGARPA in Playa del Carmen at the corner of 1st street south and 20 avenue on the second floor. Their phone number is (984) 803-9726. Licenses for non-citizens are 127 pesos a day, 318 pesos per week, 476 pesos per month, or 635 pesos per year. The license is good anywhere in Mexico. If you are caught fishing without a license, you may be hit with a hefty fine and your equipment confiscated. Capturing fish live for removal to an aquarium is prohibited. Catch and release is encouraged.

The sport fishing bag limits are: No more than 10 fish per day, including no more than 5 of any single species, except marlin, sailfish, swordfish and shark, of which only one specimen from this group is allowed, and which counts 5 towards the overall 10 fish daily limit. A dorado, roosterfish, shad, or tarpon each count as 5 towards the overall 10 fish daily limit, and only 2 fish can be kept daily from this group. Only one rod per person is allowed. Spear fishing is only allowed while skin diving without scuba tanks, and there is a 5 fish daily limit for spear-fishermen. Only rubber-band or spring type harpoons are allowed. No mollusks or crustaceans (including crab, conch, and lobster) may be taken with a sport fishing license. It is illegal to sell fish taken with a sport fishing license. Fish taken may not be filleted aboard. Licenses may be purchased by the day, week, month, or year. Fees range from $12.40 to $67.00"

It's pretty obvious the catch rules are not respected. Pretty much guarantee that most of the crews on sport fishing boats do not even know the rules. I've seen boats come in with 10-20 dorado each. The fish is then sold to the restaurants they have connections to.

Yeah, it's not just the Mexican charter fishing boat crews that ignore rules because they don't like them. It seems a number of foreign divers take "inconspicuous knives", gloves, and spears into the National Underwater Park, even when they know it is against the rules.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom