Sidemount AI configuration options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bump_Head

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Input and opinions, please.
So I’ve decided to install SW transmitters on my Sidemount setup. Currently using the Apeks XT50 SM set. This provides 2 HP ports on the first stage; one facing down and parallel to the tank and one facing straight up. My intention is to maintain the SPG’s for redundancy in cave environments. I’ve also weighed the risks of extra failure points and entanglement hazards.
My thought is to connect the transmitter directly to the first stage down and parallel to the tanks and utilize a HP 90 degree elbow on the upper port with the hose routed down and held in position zapped to the transmitter.
Thoughts? Opinions?
Are you utilizing a different configuration?

I don’t see why you would need the 90degree adapter on the hose.

Figuring it would decrease the bend in the 15cm hose from 180 to 90 degrees. Perhaps a little less stressing of the HP hose.

For overheads I’d go with the transmitters on 6” hoses.....hard mount gives me the heebee geebees......I’d keep it simple and put a button gauge on the firsts if you must have a third means of gas knowledge.

I wouldn't worry about redundancy if you were to lose a transmitter I would just stitch tanks every 5 minutes while exiting. How many failures do you have to deal with before you exit to take care of gear?

A transmitter failure means you can't tell pressure of a tank same as a gauge needle falling off after a hit there is still the same limited amount of gas in the tank it will either reach the exit or not. As long as you are diving for pleasure call the dive if you are on a rescue or diving as part of a military operation where abort isn't an option then my recommendation may change.

I use two SW transmitters on MK25's and run transmitters down and parallel with the tank, it's the best way for me so far that I've found. I use standard valves but it is what it is....

I don't use redundancy, a transmitter failure in an overhead environment is the end of a dive for me, knowing how much gas remained would probably only come into play in a shared air situation and you could work your way thru that easily enough.

My sidemount regs are laying here on the floor and man, I just don't know if I'd want anything coming out of that top port. The 90 elbow would help but still...... I use 6" hoses and spg's on my deco regs but those run straight down the tank too, that bend takes up to much space it seems and you don't need to look at those gauges all the time. The twin transmitters will spoil you......

I only have 20 or so dives in side mount so take it for what it's worth - my regs are out cause I was gonna get in the pool and practice skills in front of a camera and try to see how hoses and items clipped off looked.

I use the same regs.
I tried the 2 transmitters connected directly to the reg for 1 dive and realized that once was enough. I didn't like the rigid connection and the sense that one good bump could cause a big problem.
Now both transmitters are on the supplied Apeks HP spg hoses as you typically would with any SPG. +50 dives and no issues.
I don't use any SPG.
Been using a Perdix AI with transmitters for a couple years, 150ish dives, no issues.

Thanks all for your insightful opinions. Sounds like a direct replacement of the SPG’s (same position, same routing) should be my first option. Now to make the hop to a dive resort in Indonesia for a couple of weeks of “trial dives”. Oh damn!

you don't need redundant SPG's in a cave, just get rid of them.... Some of the biggest names in cave exploration are ditching SPG's altogether. It's quite simple, if the transmitters fail, the dive is over and you are on your way out. You either have enough gas to get out, or you don't. We never use redundant analog SPG's, if one fails, the dive is over, so why would you with transmitters?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom