Cousteau/SEA enviro sealing issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regulator without pressure, shaking it,can you hear the transmitter moving inside ?( sound )

I'm having a problem with a dry seal kit (same as old titan) on a Cousteau I have, I set ip and the minute I fit transmitter and end cap the ip jumps like 40-50 psi once end cap is fully screwed down. I tried in on an older SEA first stage and get the same results. Without dry sealing both function perfectly. All I can think of is the transmitter is the wrong one? Mine looks like this: the other thing it could be is the dry seal diaphragm, it's aged and is a bit stiff and sticky. Anyone any ideas? Thank you.

View attachment 557131 View attachment 557132
Did you purchase a new kit, an old kit, or are you cobbling together various parts that look like they should be correct?

Just eyeballing the transmitter it looks right, although if there are multiple similar parts I wouldn't know how to tell any subtle differences.

I did check kit and component part numbers, and I agree that the <2009 Titan, the Cousteau, and the SEA all used the same dry seal chamber kits.

The 2nd diaphragm is pretty soft. If you have something too stiff or too thick it might very well be applying excess pressure. But 50psi?? Could the diaphragm retainer be the wrong part?

Once you are certain that the transmitter piston is standing properly, compare it with the location of the land for the environmental diaphragm. They should match. If the transmitter is standing proud, just shave/sand 1/10mm at a time from the rod until the problem goes away. It may just be a molding issue for the piston. It doesn't have to be much longer to push on the main diaphragm.

Ah, good point, I never checked, I'll suspect not but that I will try. Cheers.
Mine(Titan 2008) has a little play (clearance) , so the transmitter is not in contact with the diaphragm until the 1 stage get pressure in it

Mine(Titan 2008) has a little play (clearance) , so the transmitter is not in contact with the diaphragm until the 1 stage get pressure in it

The one I have is in contact with transmitter the moment you start to screw it down, presumably pushing on the transmitter hence the massive jump in ip. I'll try a new diaphragm. If that doesn't fix it I'll try to see if I have the right transmitter.

Did you purchase a new kit, an old kit, or are you cobbling together various parts that look like they should be correct?

Just eyeballing the transmitter it looks right, although if there are multiple similar parts I wouldn't know how to tell any subtle differences.

I did check kit and component part numbers, and I agree that the <2009 Titan, the Cousteau, and the SEA all used the same dry seal chamber kits.

The 2nd diaphragm is pretty soft. If you have something too stiff or too thick it might very well be applying excess pressure. But 50psi?? Could the diaphragm retainer be the wrong part?

It was NOS that came sealed. The diaphragm is old, stiff and a bit sticky, that is my number 1 suspect at present. I have a new I'll try.

The one I have is in contact with transmitter the moment you start to screw it down, presumably pushing on the transmitter hence the massive jump in ip. I'll try a new diaphragm. If that doesn't fix it I'll try to see if I have the right transmitter.
From aqualung tests on regulators with dry seal :
At ambient pressure,IP= 9 bar ( 135 PSI)
At 20 meters IP = 9,8 bar (+0.8 b)
At 50 meters. IP= 11 bar (+2 b)
So, when you pressurized your 1stage at ambient pressure, you should not see any change in your IP pressure, if you have 40 or 50 psi ( +3 bar) , the problem is somewhere else than the dry seal transmitter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom