Port closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is Monday a blow out?

stuck in my rental as it’s been pouring like hell down here. But we’ve got tequila and food but no car so we’re not getting wet (again) dropping our gear off at Aldora if we can’t dive manana.

don’t recall it ever raining like this in December’s past.

Is Monday a blow out?

stuck in my rental as it’s been pouring like hell down here. But we’ve got tequila and food but no car so we’re not getting wet (again) dropping our gear off at Aldora if we can’t dive manana.

don’t recall it ever raining like this in December’s past.
99% sure yes - but Tuesday and the rest of the week is looking up!

I sadly departed in that torrential downpour...certainly a mixed result week for us...a first. Got in 5 of 14 scheduled dives...guess I'll just have to return sooner than later to use up my credits:)

You failed to mention the dark skies and torrential downpour at 4pm. There was a complete absence of taxis at Mega, even the ones driving by ignored the calls to come over. I thought there were no cruise ships initially at 2pm but the mouse ship was in port. But everything was closed.
We decided to get wet after realizing the few taxiosos working were busy getting higher fares by getting gringos to mouse central. So we got royally soaked in our 10 minute walk. It’s memories like that that you remember though!

I'm glad I'm not wasting my vacation time in Cozumel this week. Sorry if that offends anyone.

I'm glad I'm not wasting my vacation time in Cozumel this week. Sorry if that offends anyone.
It's been a rough week - fortunately it's looking up! I actually notified some of my divers that only had a few days o dive ahead of time and gave them the opportunity to cancel if they wanted - I was that sure the port would be closed and they would MAYBE get one of their 3 days in.

Not offended. I could be at home instead...not

but we are here for a while so not missing any dives (weren’t doing a super heavy dive schedule anyway)
And added a day besides

ps Aldora has a really cool rash guard this year.

Thanks everyone for answering my pretty dumb questions above. I ending up going past the cancelation period and will be in Cozumel in the first week of January. I'm still trying to figure out how to interpret the wind forecasts and just wanted to check how to understand this...Will the high wind speeds be okay because of the direction?

Also I know not to take too much stock in the forecast for these particular days, but I want to be able to track as the time gets closer so I can plan which days we'll be able to dive.
SmartSelect_20191224-020113_Chrome.jpg

Also I know not to take too much stock in the forecast for these particular days
Weather can change significantly in a short amount of time, more so over a week away like you illustrated, but if that 03:00 (3am) panel happen to be accurate in speed of 15 to 20 knots (17 to 23 mph) and direction, it'd be almost straight down the channel...
upload_2019-12-24_3-1-11.png

upload_2019-12-24_3-1-52.png

So that could be very challenging, continuing all day. Thursday looks much better with speed dropping and direction changing enough that the island acts as a windbreak for the channel, especially close to the island where the reefs are and the diving happens.

All of that could change a lot in the next week tho. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom