ATTENTION UW PHOTOGRAPHERS:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came back from Cabo unscathed, but also targeted. My camera gear is in a large rollerboard (so not obviously camera stuff) but before I pushed the button she kept asking about cameras and I kept smiling and saying "small" and "GoPro". In broken English she kept saying "housing" and I kept smiling and saying, "Happy to be here with my GoPro" and stuff like that. Also got the green light. But they were definitely fishing.

Hmm, makes me wonder if I should pack my Paralenz in my dive gear bag as a decoy.

This is blatant extortion and the operators in Baja should make it their business to raise a stink with the Mexican government. I don't expect these shenanigans to end because someone believes corruption is wrong, but the tourist money that's going to be kept away from Baja is worth a lot more than whatever crooked customs agents can shake down from photographers.

I was due to go to Socorro in 2020, but i've sacked it off now.

Anyone looked into costs to fedex a housing to a hotel in Mexico?

Anyone looked into costs to fedex a housing to a hotel in Mexico?

This is the direction I'm considering in the future. I wonder if the operators down there would allow gear to be shipped down in advance? I might check with Nautilus on this...

How did it go?

I had no issues. Underwater photography gear was in a Think Tank roller bag. Cameras and lenses were in a very old and beat-up North Face backpack. I hit the button, got the green and on I went.

For the record, I was on a photo workshop trip and I think only 2 of us ended up getting taxed. Both of them were initially quoted hundreds of dollars and then were offered a much more reasonable fee in the range of $50-75.

I went to Cozumel on the December 14. Had my strobes and wet lens in a REI backpack, my Sony camera and Fantasea housing in a 10Bar carrying bag, and my tray/arms in my roller dive bag. This is my normal packing. Got green light and no questions. The dive shop (Tres Pelicanos) was not aware of any issues. I also emailed Scuba Club Cozumel a week before I left and their response, while confusing, suggested they were not aware of the issue either.

I went to Cozumel on the December 14. Had my strobes and wet lens in a REI backpack, my Sony camera and Fantasea housing in a 10Bar carrying bag, and my tray/arms in my roller dive bag. This is my normal packing. Got green light and no questions. The dive shop (Tres Pelicanos) was not aware of any issues. I also emailed Scuba Club Cozumel a week before I left and their response, while confusing, suggested they were not aware of the issue either.

Going by reports here, it's only been Baja where this has been going on. Cozumel and Mexico City don't appear to be playing.

I arrived 4 days ago in SJD airport . Following the raccomandation of this toipic ( thank you very much to all of you ) I packed all my equipment in anonymous soft baggage : 2 big Eastpack soft baggage + 1 Somsonite trolly + Loewe camera bag inside a soft bag ( to completly hide it ) .

I was asked for alcool and cigarettes but no question about camera and housing ..... green ligth and to out without problem !
( BTW : I carry 2 camera - 2 housing - 4 strobe -...... )

hope this help

I arrived 4 days ago in SJD airport . Following the raccomandation of this toipic ( thank you very much to all of you ) I packed all my equipment in anonymous soft baggage : 2 big Eastpack soft baggage + 1 Somsonite trolly + Loewe camera bag inside a soft bag ( to completly hide it ) .

I was asked for alcool and cigarettes but no question about camera and housing ..... green ligth and to out without problem !
( BTW : I carry 2 camera - 2 housing - 4 strobe -...... )

hope this help

That's how I'm going to do it, ditch my hard case and separate it a bit in normal luggage. Hopefully I'll have your results.

My wife is giving me a scuba trip for Christmas and I was planning to go on Solmar V to Socorro in May. I've been on the boat twice before and was looking forward to another trip to Socorro. But based on this information, I am now planning to go on Sea Hunter to Cocos later this year. I don't need the hassle, cost and uncertainty that this issue is causing.

BTW I just sent an email to the Solmar V folks advising them of my change in plans and asking them to do what they can to get this situation back under control. As others have expressed in this thread, eventually these actions will have significant impact on tourist dollars going into the area and hopefully the Mexican government will get the message. But I'm not optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom