Dive ladder steps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fortunately, my boat came with handrails. I added non-skid tape to the railings because my dry gloves are slippery.
Ladder_DSC1273.jpg

Another option is a ladder like the one on the Giant Stride dive boat. Owner Jim Simmerman recently added a small platform on the bottom of his ladder.
DSC1208.jpg

DSC1204.jpg

There is another option...
Ladder.jpg

Fortunately, my boat came with handrails. I added non-skid tape to the railings because my dry gloves are slippery.
View attachment 552666
Another option is a ladder like the one on the Giant Stride dive boat. Owner Jim Simmerman recently added a small platform on the bottom of his ladder.
View attachment 552664

View attachment 552665

There is another option...
View attachment 552674
The ladder on the Giant Stride is almost exactly the ladder I had on Spree and will mount on the new boat next weekend. I have oval tube instead of flat rungs and the bottom step is 12 inches by 18 inches.

Understandable, but easier said than done. This stuff can be very hard to get off even though outer edges are not adhering.

Even the remains offer some grip though.

But I agree, there are many better options and I'm liking most of what I'm seeing in the pics in this thread (aside from Rusty McHospitalvisit... and Woody...).
There's no singular 'perfect' ladder in my mind - I've just run into several that were much worse and would have benefited greatly from a bare minimum of grippiness on at least one rung for the first big step.

Building it properly in the first place is, of course, the better overall option...

This is my boat with the ladder. Our preferred way to climb is leave fins on, much easier than taking off and throwing/passing up. Sits at a good angle, not quite what is shown here as the stopper is not quite against the bottom of the walkway. Important you have a good angle as too vertical is very hard to climb. We also have a rope hanging off the end of the ladder and this can be used to pull yourself towards the ladder when there is a current or it is rough (it means you have control over the movement).

When I first made it, there were only three rungs. This was not good as the gap between each one was too far and made it hard for older divers. Removed the two two and welded on another one with the other two repositioned. Perfect now, even in very rough seas like we had last Wednesday.
makcat-yowie-bay.jpg

Has anyone ever seen/tried a Christmas tree ladder with alternating steps? I've seen alternating tread stairs on some ships and warehouse ladders, and they work shockingly well. It would also make for a lighter ladder since you'd only have half the number of steps.

my boat actually has a tree ladder like this now the steps fold in and the whole assembly slides back into the boat. I hate it possibly the steps are to far apart another factor is the steps are not deep enough meaning they hurt your feet when climbing up.

Thanks for all your input I found a couple of ideas and one of the links has one boat set up in a way that gave me some ideas. It’s most likely semi complex as the twin outboards and unique transom and deck formation prevent just bolting on a pre made unit. I will know before long as this is next up in my winter project line up.
I also have bad knees and am getting older I want something that makes entry as easy as it can.
I’m also adding as large of a deck or really landing area that will allow the diver to have a place to stand while a person on the boat can stand forward of that on the boat to assist if needed. Combined with a really functional hand rail system for both divers.
Now as far as the wooden dive ladder my wife and I both agreed The best dive ladder we ever used was in fact wood. It was on a bamboo boat we dove out of in the Filipines steps were about three feet wide very deep in the water and big enough to be easy on your feet. It’s hinge was about 1000 feet of weed eater line wrapped and woven where it joined the boat. We got on some amazing boats. One of them had a gallon fruit jug for its gas can. The captain raised it hung it on a nail when the engine was running then dropped it below the carb to shut it off. No gears forward only when it was running the prop was spinning.

Pete...that’s not you getting off the boat in the Galapagos?

Attachments

• B2427FD6-B228-4D89-9429-32CBDB3A037C.jpeg
    B2427FD6-B228-4D89-9429-32CBDB3A037C.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 370
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom