Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yeah, remind them that you thought about trying to fix it yourself so they wouldn't have to (as they seem to advise), but didn't want to void the warranty.

As others above have suggested, this is a VERY simple fix for any Aqualung shop. Most will probably do it while you wait. But due to the ACD fitting, it is NOT a simple matter of "putting a hex key" in the DIN. The ACD fitting is in the way, and the proper tool is a crescent wrench once the ACD has been removed. It should only be done by a shop, due to the torque setting required for the ACD.
LegendDIN_Disassy.png

Also as noted, with the leaking while the DIN was loose, the o-ring may have gotten damaged during hand re-tightening.
Yes, it's a warranty issue, but if you're getting pushback or aren't near your purchase site, any Aqualung shop can fix it. And they may want to treat you well if you use one near your home, to keep you as a patron. Even if they don't, it's an inexpensive repair. One o-ring is all you should be charged for parts.

Sounds like inadequate torque at the time of factory assembly. Yes, it's possible to loosen the DIN bolt by manipulating the reg after the wheel is tight (look at moment 00:16 in your video where you did just that), but it's very uncommon unless you've already pressurized the system and THEN try to change the angle of the regulator.

Note: If I was mistaken in thinking this was a newer model, and in fact it doesn't have the ACD, then the repair is even simpler. But your comment about breaking warranty makes me think this is an ACD model.

Although I agree it should be the responsibility of the vendor on a new reg, knowing what it is, what caused it and how to fix it may well come in handy on a dive trip if it happens again.

I agree with your comments about learning how to fix the reg. But since it is in warranty, I would leave the repairs to the professionals whose job it is to deal with warranty issues on their product, and hopefully they would let me watch and learn while they were fixing the problem.

Aqualung may be interested in the lack of service from one of their dealers. For some reason, I thought dive shops bench tested regulators prior to selling them to the customer but maybe not.

For some reason, I thought dive shops bench tested regulators prior to selling them to the customer but maybe not.
That is the "best practice" I am familiar with and follow, but I am not surprised if some don't. That was a contentious source of disagreement I had with a former partner.

So far, I have only ever had one new regulator that required adjustment before leaving the shop. Both 1st and 2nd stages. When I inquired with the MFGR, they did track back that there was an issue with the presets during the early runs of the new item. (not naming names...)

Gotta wonder about the practices from some online sellers, too.

Also, after you attach the 1st stage to the valve, DON'T move it around so you don't re-loosen it.
This ^

I watched that video several times, and it is hard to tell but you just might be loosening the seal after you have snugged it up. Why are you doing the slight back and forth twist on the 1st stage after assembly? I can't quite tell if you snugged the handwheel again after you did that, but if not then that could be your issue. Snug it up and leave it that way. (I know I am in the habit of doing that slight wiggle on yoke regulators to be sure a student hasn't cranked it down crazy tight, but I don't think you should be doing that on DIN.)

Also, please double check that there is still an o-ring on the face of the threaded DIN connection, and that it is in good shape. I think we would have heard a much stronger airflow if it was altogether missing, but maybe not.

For some reason, I thought dive shops bench tested regulators prior to selling them to the customer but maybe not.

As a starving student, that was one of my jobs -- about the lowest point on the scuba shop totem, just above the guy working the ultrasonic cleaner in the back room, huffing Hempocid. We bench tested and assembled everything, since each customer received a free inflator hose with a purchase; checked IP and ensured that there were no leaks, before anything left the shop . . .

Back
Top Bottom