Request for information not covered in any course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several years ago I was taking an on site avalanche course with a number of others who hiked, skied or snowmobiled the backcountry in winter. The purpose of the course was to help us identify avalanche conditions, prepare for rescue if necessary and generally travel safely in the west coast mountains. During a break one of the participants looked at us and said "you know if you won't admit that this sport can kill you, you shouldn't be out here". She was right and although scuba diving is inherently safe, the sentiment still applies.

I remember digging into snowbanks when I was a ski patroller on Mt. Hood to get an idea about avalanche conditions. The problem we were told is that wherever we dig, it could be completely different (and more hazardous) in other places. While conditions when diving typically don't change as dramatically, they can vary.

Spot on comment. I'm going to use that.

Yeah. I moved to the harness/donut (smallest I could find) to minimize drag and for travel. It allowed me up to 25% more bottom time. Never considered hostile surface conditions and having to hang on the surface for an extended period waiting. Lessen learned. Back inflate (for me) sux on the surface, particularly in high choppy waves.

The snorkel vest is orally inflatable and has a dump valve. It really takes only a tiny bit of room in a suitcase and is unnoticable under the harness. It will provide additional buoyancy and redundancy. Same with two big SMB's. Very little additional baggage but redundancy.

I wonder why that wasn't/isn't part of the solo course. Redundant everything else. Some that could easily be done without - some that you will probably never ever need the first of. Seems to me that buoyancy redundancy is more important than some of the other stuff. Maybe that's just my recent experience talking. Still it's something I'm adding to my kit. Think I might sell my pony off and get one double the size too. Also adding a whistle to the kit. Diver Alert was useless when the main tank went dry. Whistle for redundancy.
Is the BP/W not orally inflatable? That seems like a serious shortcoming. I'll stick with the poodle jacket.
Also did you have any gear malfunction?

Is the BP/W not orally inflatable? That seems like a serious shortcoming. I'll stick with the poodle jacket.
OP has chosen not to go deep into detail. My impression/interpretation from what has been written is that he found himself at the surface, in rough seas and current some distance from the boat, and no snorkel, with a back inflated buoyancy device making it difficult to breath dry with face out of the water. Maybe he will share more now.

Is the BP/W not orally inflatable? That seems like a serious shortcoming. I'll stick with the poodle jacket
No wing exists that isn’t orally inflatable.

Of course it was orally inflatable - it was fully inflated. No gear malfunction, just very choppy, very high waves crashing over me making using a semi-dry snorkel (which I had) unusable. JackD342 has it spot on.

As far as sharing more, the experience was bad enough. Why would I want to be shredded by SB posters? I have shared the full account, my evaluation of what I should have done, and what my revised "diving rules" are with select people who have asked via PM. Open myself up to all the "perfect" SB divers, who know everything, even though they weren't there, eh, not so much.

Open myself up to all the "perfect" SB divers, who know everything, even though they weren't there, eh, not so much.

What? Wearing Lady Gaga's meat dress and jumping into the zoo's lion exhibit doesn't sound fun to you?

I can’t say I blame Kharon. After reading the vitriolic debate about the John Chatterton Advanced Kneeling Course, I’m not sure I want to turn to SB to learn as much as I originally anticipated.

I can’t say I blame Kharon. After reading the vitriolic debate about the John Chatterton Advanced Kneeling Course, I’m not sure I want to turn to SB to learn as much as I originally anticipated.

Relax, it's not that bad

Because it's actually worse! :p:D:eek::poke::yeahbaby:

No, it's getting better and it's each of our responsibility to help to continue the improvement. After all, we all want to help our fellow divers up and we all want to read their adventures and share their progress with them. That's why we're here. Let's not let ourselves or others to forget that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom