Brizo wearable underwater position tracker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The claims sound impressive but I am dubious as to how it can be made to work accurately with out some way to get an exact fix.

Accurate surface navigation, until relatively recently, was hard enough until there were satellites available for accurate position fixes. Prior to that, precise navigation required relatively precise equipment (sextant) and the knowledge to use it (as well as accurate time). Working out accurate positions without some means to get a physical fix (such as a landmark and means of accurately measuring the distance/ angles to it is very difficult.

Taking that underwater adds a whole new level of difficulty - there are virtually no accurate underwater maps, no way to get a fix and no way to know exact levels of drift. A human can manage close to a feature such as a wall dive (stick close enough and either go straight out and back on the wall or drift along it) or by diving a shape (triangular route or square). That only works with known features such as pinnacles etc. Even with that it can be easy to miss a waypoint or drift off course.

I struggle to see how a device can accurately track position without some way of either pinpoint location or a way to track speed, time, depth, drift. Tracking using G forces or accelerometers is ok but can they accurately log drift in multiple dimensions?

... Working out accurate positions without some means to get a physical fix (such as a landmark and means of accurately measuring the distance/ angles to it is very difficult.

Taking that underwater adds a whole new level of difficulty - there are virtually no accurate underwater maps, no way to get a fix and no way to know exact levels of drift. A human can manage close to a feature such as a wall dive (stick close enough and either go straight out and back on the wall or drift along it) or by diving a shape (triangular route or square). That only works with known features such as pinnacles etc. Even with that it can be easy to miss a waypoint or drift off course. ...

+1 - I found out how easy it is to miss drift when there are absolutely no features to go by on a recent dive that very nearly killed me. I would love to have something that would accurately get me back to a start point, indicate when I am in an undetectable current, etc that I could afford.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom