Zoop Novo crashed during a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sho0ter_McGavin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'll try to give as much detail while keeping the text short. I apologize for mistakes, English isn't my first language. :)

So we've used a suunto zoop novo as my dive computer for about a year and a half to two years and never had a problem until now.

Yesterday morning, we had a nitrox dive. All was set correctly (31% O² and 1.4 PPO²).

We went in the water and my dive computer worked... for about 15 minutes then went into ER (error) state for 48 hours. Luckily, I had my backup computer and finished the dive safely with it (it was set to 31% and 1.4 too). For info: the back is an aqualung I300 that my father used before getting a Teric.

Looking at the logbook, it says the dive was split in two halves and a ER on top of the two "dives".

The first one starts with the descent, stops at 15 minutes. The second dive starts at 16minutes (at ~50-60ft) and ends the dive at the surface.

I'm curious as to what could be the cause. The backup computer shows a normal dive, no extraordinary data and a single dive, not two...

Any input is welcome! :)

Thanks

Failed depth sensor. Happened on well over half of the 40+ Zoops I’ve maintained over the last 12 years.

Suunto really needs to get their act together.

Suunto is fish manure! I have 3 Suunto computers as paperweights because of depth sensor issue. Never buy Suunto crap again!

TC:
Failed depth sensor. Happened on well over half of the 40+ Zoops I’ve maintained over the last 12 years.

Suunto really needs to get their act together.

Seems like we're going to make our group will switch to Shearwater faster than we'd planned! Just need to save money..!

I'll try to give as much detail while keeping the text short. I apologize for mistakes, English isn't my first language. :)

So we've used a suunto zoop novo as my dive computer for about a year and a half to two years and never had a problem until now.

Yesterday morning, we had a nitrox dive. All was set correctly (31% O² and 1.4 PPO²).

We went in the water and my dive computer worked... for about 15 minutes then went into ER (error) state for 48 hours. Luckily, I had my backup computer and finished the dive safely with it (it was set to 31% and 1.4 too). For info: the back is an aqualung I300 that my father used before getting a Teric.

Looking at the logbook, it says the dive was split in two halves and a ER on top of the two "dives".

The first one starts with the descent, stops at 15 minutes. The second dive starts at 16minutes (at ~50-60ft) and ends the dive at the surface.

I'm curious as to what could be the cause. The backup computer shows a normal dive, no extraordinary data and a single dive, not two...

Any input is welcome! :)

Thanks
How old was the battery? What was the water temperature? If an old, eg the original, battery in cold water it might be that it was on the edge of failing. I have seen computers stop working, but not restart on the dive, like that.

Your symptoms are not like the depth sensor failures that get reported, those are usually that the computer reports being at depth while on the surface.

Given you have two computers I might choose to change the battery and see how it goes.

I had somewhat similar sounding symptoms with my Zoop Novo: failed to engage dive mode, I went to the surface, manually pressed dive mode, and it immediately locked out. This happened twice, about 20 dives apart. Not sure why I thought switching modes on the surface would work better the second time. Currently talking to Suunto (Huish) about it, so I don't know the final resolution. It did show 2.9v (out of 3v) before I sent it in, so I don't think it was the battery.

Again, your best bet is to contact Suunto to get the most accurate information. I know they have had problems with certain runs of certain models but their products are not crap and their tech repair support is pretty good. My first
Suunto Gekko is going strong 10 years and hundreds of dives later. Not a single problem.

Purchased the next generation of the Gekko for my wife and it ran into problems after about 100 dives. Malfunction and would show dive continuing after surfacing. It was a chip/sensor issue and they offered a new next generation replacement at about 60% off list.

Purchased a Vyper and had one problem after more than 100 dives, the temp reading was off. Sent back and replaced for free. No problems since.

Back
Top Bottom