Tulamben in January 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks,
Just wondering if anyone is currently diving at Tulamben in Bali.
I am heading there is a few weeks and have read that the conditions can be very hit and miss at this time of year. Just thought that maybe someone is diving there now can advise me of how it is at the mo.

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

I am.
The water is very warm, warmer than I have ever seen in my long lasting Tulamben record. 30°C in the shallows so that you're wondering who's s been peeing at the deco stop. People say it's been unusually hot and dry the past month, and there is no wind at all, lake flat seas..
Consequently We didn't find as many critters as we used to.... That said it's only my second day diving.

I am.
The water is very warm, warmer than I have ever seen in my long lasting Tulamben record. 30°C in the shallows so that you're wondering who's s been peeing at the deco stop. People say it's been unusually hot and dry the past month, and there is no wind at all, lake flat seas..
Consequently We didn't find as many critters as we used to.... That said it's only my second day diving.
Hi Luko,
how long are you going to stay there?
I am also going to Tulamben on 1/1, don't know if we have a chance to meet there?

Hi Dave,

I am diving the Liberty Wreck almost every Year during this time for the past 15 years. The only thing that can happen is if it was raining recently youll have some run off fresh water coming into the sea. It usually affects only the top few meters, whilst below it is nice and clear.
This year we had great dives in early December, warm,clear and only small waves.

We did early 29 Dec - 3 January 2019 and probably will go there end of January 2020.
as far I recall, there was 2-3 days of short raining but we did not lose any diving day. Not all dive site are diveable when raining. At the Pyramid Amed, was good at the beginning, then viz was getting worst where we have to cut our diving time to 40 min.

Hi Luko,
how long are you going to stay there?
I am also going to Tulamben on 1/1, don't know if we have a chance to meet there?
Nope, unfortunately short stay, leaving T'ben on 29/12.
See you in Taiwan then :wink:

Who are you diving with, btw? Freelancer or regular op? (I can give you a name if you want sick supermacro and snooting expertise)

Hi Dave,

I am diving the Liberty Wreck almost every Year during this time for the past 15 years. The only thing that can happen is if it was raining recently youll have some run off fresh water coming into the sea. It usually affects only the top few meters, whilst below it is nice and clear.
This year we had great dives in early December, warm,clear and only small waves.

Thats great news Kerry, it doesn't need to be perfect, ok is good enough. I would love to dive the wreck. I hope to be there around second week of January. Thanks for your advice.

I am.

Back
Top Bottom