Shearwater's Perdix AI vs. All Comers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I chose the ScubaPro G2 over the Perdix AI, mainly because the Perdix shuts down air time calculations if you get into deco. The G2 takes into account deco stops and continues to calculate air time. Also I like the heart rate display of the G2 when I'm diving. On the other hand Shearwater has better support and perhaps better readability than the ScubaPro.

So real question: is the shearwater perdix AI (or earlier perdix) the best dive computer ever?

Shearwater gets a lot of fanboi love, and I’m sure it’s well deserved but is it the best?

Parameters:
Bang for the buck: is it worth the money or could you spend slightly more and get much better or slightly less and get almost the same?

Grow with you: if you are already diving at the top end of dive planing and task loading or just a vacation diver your needs are fairly clear cut. The challenge comes when you are early in your dive career and have hopes (pipe dreams?) to get into more complicated diving and want to make an investment that makes sense.

User friendly: customer service, user friendly interface? Do others do it better?

Performance: does it do what it’s says it can do?

Im very generally considering getting one. I can totally way for a while but it got me to thinking.

I like bang for the buck.
So when I was in the position of looking for a dive computer I decided to go Shearwater but used after checking ebay i found...

I found a Petrel 1 was around $400

A Petrel 2 was around $500, added compass.

A Perdix was around 700 adds compass thinner design and longer battery life.

A Perdix AI was around 800 or 950 with a transmitter

I bought a Petrel 1 for $385
A wrist compass for $25
An SPG for $50
Total layout $460
All shipped, on ebay.

It was the right decision for me. I would love a Perdix AI with built in compass and transmitter but its not worth an extra $500 over a Petrel 1, wrist compass and SPG. Not to me anyway.

I own Petrel2 but i could consider also AV1 or DiveSoft Freedom

I have been diving the suunto Eon core and its a great computer. I just bought the Perdix ai and glad I did. My local dive shop owners use the Ratio computer and the reason is the alarms are audible but also vibrate. One of the owners has a hearing issue so the vibrate alarm benefits her greatly.

I personally believe after doing some research that the Shearwater series is pretty solid and can take you from OC recreational to advanced technical.

I like my Suunto Eon Core but can’t wait to dive my Perdix ai.

Glenn

the Perdix shuts down air time calculations if you get into deco.
That's interesting, but if it's a staged deco dive there is no need for the computer to calculate my gas time. If it's "deco lite" and I'm running in rec mode I can see where it might be helpful. But then again....

Rec diver here. I've reached the stage where I wanted more info, especially SurfGF, so I bought a Perdix AI. I use it in Rec mode and have the display setup to show exactly what I want (though it pretty easy to scroll and see it all).
It's as nice as the 'fanbois' claim.
Very happy I bought it.
Because I had previously owned Mares computers, I did briefly consider getting their Genius.

I have a Perdix AI and have only found one downside.
I am a fan of AI and typically dive sidemount...2 tanks with transmitters. If I need a stage I can't have a 3rd transmitter (if I wanted too.)
I hope that they make the Perdix support more than 2 transmitters in a future firmware update. Some others already support 6 or more.

It's an awesome DC

I had been using a number of computers, including an older Shearwater model, over the last decade; but, most recently, the Poseidon M28 since about 2017. Though ostensibly designed for closed circuit, I have also used it for OC, with the option of using eight or nine custom gas settings; compass; GPS; and two decompression models. I had the opportunity of taking it on a number of OC decompression dives in the last year and appreciated its clear display; the added convenience of USB charging, especially in the stickier parts of e world, with iffy access to batteries; and the perennially upgradable software.

Since I loathe crap on my wrist, I typically have it secured on a gear lanyard, attached to my BC . . .

Attachments

• IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 106
So real question: is the shearwater perdix AI (or earlier perdix) the best dive computer ever?

Is it the best ever? Depends on who you are speaking with. @Diving Dubai likes the Eon Core. He lives in the middle east and there isn't a service rep close by for Shearwater products. There a few other features he likes. He has a Shearwater product(s). He just likes the other product a little better, I guess. At the apex, It becomes a subjective decision.

I have a personal relationship with Mr. and Mrs. Shearwater (pseudonyms), They are the real deal. They don't have to scrimp on customer service because the failure rates for their products are so low. I emailed customer service for a generic request, and Mrs. Shearwater had a rep email with a solution for my request and to say hi. I did not ask for her, or for her help. I am told she reviews all customer service issues and demands a 5 day turn-around or a solution for the customer if that is not possible.

At their designed crush depth, the lens is deformed, but the units tested still worked. It was about 800 fsw. Is that good enough for you?

They support all of their products with firmware and other updates. Your computer warranty does not run with your ownership, it runs with the DC's serial number. The person you sell it to gets the remainder based on serial number and not transfer of the warranty to the new owner.

They are simple to use. Mr. and Mrs. S along with the Big Kahuna trained me in about 5 minutes. I read the manual for iterative purposes; but it is super easy to use.

I bought the Perdix AI and I upgraded with the Shearwater sender recently.

My 60 year old eyes can read the Perdix without using the magnifier I have glued to my mask's lens.

I have a lithium Ion non-rechargeable battery in the unit and it lasts a long time. Many dives in Rec Nitrox mode. Multiple trips. It is a standard AA battery. In a pinch, you can use copper tops.

Yeah, I am a fanboi (fanboy) of Shearwater and for really good reasons.

cheers,
markm

Thanks @markmud for inviting me.

So my opinion, in short is that NO Perdix isn't the best computer.

The fanboi element on SB is very strong - and most claim Shearwater is the best thing ever, despite not havign any experience of other high end computers

As @Jay correctly stated, at the top end the differences between most computers are down to personal preferences and very much subjective. For instance, I would dismiss out of hand (and did) the Teric, because I don't like the form factor, no amount of argument would persuade me otherwise, because I know what I like and what I want for the type of diving I do

I'm probably in the unique position in that I dive a Perdix AI, a Eon Steel, and have had access (for about 100 dives/dive hours) to an OSTC 4

Currently I personally would rate the 3 computers as follows
1. Eon
2. OSTC 4
3. Perdix

However the differences are small, and I'd happily dive with any of them, and would recommend each to other divers depending on their particular circumstances

Now each computer has good and less good points. People will debate endlessly about Rechargeable vs User changeable batteries for instance, of Bluetooth vs cable

Another classic example of how you wish to use is, AI;

OSTC 4 - No AI

Eon - up to 10 tx but cannot display more than 1 gas at a time. So when using SM, it requires lots of gas switches (dull)

Perdix AI, only 2 Tx, can display both without switching, but only calculates SAC etc from 1 Tx (WTF?)

Out of all of them the Perdix (IMO) has the worst UI. I was also particularly infuriated (and still am) that in Rec mode (for me the best layout with all the relevant info) it has a max depth limit (default to 40m max to 50m) and artificially limits the gas MOD - so yes even Perdix has "Nanny modes"

I've learned to live with my Perdix, and be less frustrated at it, but I have to say, I was very disappointed with it at first

Price and access to good service structure can be vastly different in different regions, which can be a huge influence

My advice always, is to research which computer fits your requirements the best, there is a lot of nonsense spoken (written) computer lockouts being one. Buy which suits your needs & pocket the best.

Watch out for those that "gush" over a computer, having had little experience with it or indeed any others in that range.

SB tends to parrot certain falsehoods and be an echo chamber for the Fanboi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom