Carnival Cruise ship collision in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The

wind wasn't THAT bad this morning to affect a cruise ship docking - we've had much worse - it was only 10mph north wind this morning - this is what they get for trying to bring too many ships in at one time. Glad there were no serious injuries (that we know of).

Local Govt. mentality:
"Oh no, not enough room for the ships, build another pier!"

Reasonable solution: "NO, tell them, sorry, we're full today - CAP the number of cruise ships per day."

Have I mentioned lately how much I absolutely DESPISE the cruise ship industry?

Sadly it will probably take something major like one sinking with lots of death for them to smarten up and realize what they are doing.

I wonder if anyone was in one of those cabins that got nailed on the damaged ship? Can you imagine sitting there, when all of a sudden, your outer wall tears open with a scream of rending metal and maybe some mass barges in?

Wonder if somebody's getting a free future cruise?

I wondered that myself and found the deck plans, apparently those big black windows and the deck above it are dining areas. The two decks with port holes are cabins, which don't appear to be hit as badly.

There were so many cruise ships last February one of the smaller ships remained offshore. We watched the shuttles going back and forth from our balcony at Casa Mexicana as day faded into night. It took a while to move the entire herd of cruisers back onboard ship for the buffet. I am concerned about the damage being done to the reef when these freaking things drop anchor.

I may be wrong but I believe the Cozumel "Pilot" docks all cruise ships. They board just before the board dock.

He lives a few doors down, I'll ask him but pretty sure I understood that he checks paperwork, doesn't drive em.

Although I just watched a video again and you can barely see one of his boats in the background....

I wonder if anyone was in one of those cabins that got nailed on the damaged ship? Can you imagine sitting there, when all of a sudden, your outer wall tears open with a scream of rending metal and maybe some mass barges in?

Wonder if somebody's getting a free future cruise?

I think that was a dining area. I heard on the news tonight, they will be doing their Christmas cruise without full repairs to the ship.

He lives a few doors down, I'll ask him but pretty sure I understood that he checks paperwork, doesn't drive em.

The pilot I know just guides the ship, the crew is still responsible for all the maneuvering.

Kind of makes one wonder if the Harbor Master’s job is to see to it that cruise ships are docked safely or docked at any cost to get the Sheeple unloaded and their $ on the island. The Port Captain is known to be overly conservative when shutting down the port to small boats. I’ve never heard of an instance of it being closed to approaching cruise ships due to the risk of docking (more like jamming them in like sardines) in high winds. Perhaps the port should have been closed to cruise ships the past 3 days as well.

The dining room is what sustained the most damage. There are no staterooms in that area of the ship thankfully. During arrivals and departures there are always a pilot onboard from the local ports to guide the ships out based off local knowledge of the waters, but they do just that. Guide. The ships officers are always the ones in control of the ship itself. The pilot makes recommendations to the captain based off current conditions and the captain advises the offers on deck at the time of what actions to take. It is a give and take relationship with trust needed on both sides but conditions can change in a second. I use to work for carnival here in south Florida.

Sadly it will probably take something major like one sinking with lots of death for them to smarten up and realize what they are doing.
Um, be careful what you wish for? We don't need another Costa Concordia. 32 souls perished in that cluster F*** because the captain was showing off. I don't want to be a victim of the next showoff or goofoff. I don't want my loved ones to be, and actually I don't want you or your loved ones or anyone else to die, either. We especially don't need it in Cozumel, as fragile as the reefs are right now.

Like it or not, cruise ships are here to stay. Carnival (parent of Costa) didn't stop sailing after the Concordia disaster. In fact, six years later their stock had doubled, or about a 12% return, not including dividends. And it was up 7.6 % today even with this news.

Do people stop flying when a plane or planes crash? No, they don't, and neither will people stop cruising even if a ship sinks (God forbid) with everyone on board. Cruise lines will continue to operate, and the cities in countries throughout the world will continue to court cruise lines in hopes of bringing a lot of tourists and money to their little corner or the earth. As divers and responsible citizens of the world, we want to preserve and protect our environment, but as the indigenous people of the world learned the hard way, it is very difficult to stop money driven, and defined, progress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom