Please Don't Mishandle the Sealife!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See, I feel that this is where Cayman differs from a lot of Caribbean islands. Tourism isn't the number on money-making business, and it's the expats living on the island, going out and eating that keep most of the restaurants in business. Overnight tourists spend far more money on groceries, eating and drinking out, and diving than the cruise ship folks who, when the dock is built, will be able to go back to the ship for free food, rather than spending money in the local businesses.

All of the business owners that I have spoken to, even those in the tourism trade, are dead against it.
Totally agree with Alucard. And yes while we don’t pay tax we pay duty and if the government needs funding it will raise duty and licensing fees. The ships do pay a per capita for guests to the government however the group that is supposedly paying for the port will be taking a substantial portion of that amount to cover their costs. Not sure how that can be spun into Verdant covering costs if Verdant is then taking the revenue to cover said costs but that’s part of the sorry tale. The problem is that almost everyone agrees that the present facility needs to be updated. What they don’t agree with is the huge and far reaching monstrosity that we have been presented with. It is not a black and white situation.

Cayman's Department of the Environment is putting a (temporary) freeze on issuing new licenses for Stingray Sandbar:

Stingray City freeze to run for 6 months | Cayman Compass
It's been years since we did it and it was not bad as we got there early and were the only boat there with maybe 20 aboard... but, geez - it's shocking that the regulations say this:

"Licensed vessels are also not permitted to discharge paying passengers into the Sandbar area of the Wildlife Interaction Zone if there are more than 1,500 people already in the area, and if more than 20 licensed tourist boats are in the area, and should remain at the Sandbar area of the WIZ zone no more than one hour per visit."

How can they think 1,500 people and 20 boats could be OK? Obviously, driven by the $. Sad to allow this abuse of the environment there.

We often go on Sunday afternoons as private people on our private boat. We live on a canal that opens into the Sound. This is our home and we made of our of choice because we love it. Have yet to see tourist boats since the bans came into place be a problem. Sunday afternoons with the ridiculous party boats is a different situation. I hope someday those who post from the Compass will understand the difference between a local readership who it is written for as opposed to a yearly visitor. Both have huge merit but it is a local paper based on local concerns like any town paper. Not necessarily meant for international readership that doesn’t understand local politics.

We often go on Sunday afternoons as private people on our private boat. We live on a canal that opens into the Sound. This is our home and we made of our of choice because we love it. Have yet to see tourist boats since the bans came into place be a problem. Sunday afternoons with the ridiculous party boats is a different situation. I hope someday those who post from the Compass will understand the difference between a local readership who it is written for as opposed to a yearly visitor. Both have huge merit but it is a local paper based on local concerns like any town paper. Not necessarily meant for international readership that doesn’t understand local politics.
Huh? Not sure what you are talking about, but relatives were there a few years ago on a morning with cruise ships in and it was an absolute zoo - hundreds of people, if not a thousand or more.

How about you explain it to us instead of being cryptic and complaining about how the visitors who support the Ops on the island should have no opinions on published articles from on an island they frequent? The last I checked, the Compass had no disclaimers that it was only to be read by those who live in the Cayman Islands...

My point was only that the article in the paper was specifically to let the ops know the new rules which hopefully will be enforced which is not currently what happens. Some who go to The Sandbar do not even have their WIZ licenses That said the biggest rule breaking we see consistently at The Sandbar is Sunday and holiday afternoons when the party boats go out with locals not visitors. I agree totally that 1500 is too many people but it is unlikely that will ever change. I didn’t mean to be cryptic and certainly did mean to complain about what happens on Sunday afternoons that has nothing to do with visitors. I hope the article was read by some of the actual offenders and they take as much to heart as you have. They are the ones who the most to lose.

Christmas is a busy travel season in the Caribbean and apparently today was a windy day. As the debate continues about building a cruise ship pier in Grand Cayman, there may be some interest in the video at the link below that was filmed today on Cozumel.

A total of eight cruise ships were docked today in Cozumel and one of the Carnival ships hit another Carnival ship, and almost hit a 3rd Carnival ship, while parking the boat!

Gee! Maybe they need to build another cruise ship pier on Cozumel?

Two Carnival cruise ships collided in Cozumel, Mexico - CNN

Back
Top Bottom