Carnival Cruise ship collision in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should've put a fender out. I hope there were no serious injuries.

Looks like a ship's Captain is going to have an unexpected career change. On the bright side, he's a lock for the Joseph Hazelwood hall-of-fame

I wonder if anyone was in one of those cabins that got nailed on the damaged ship? Can you imagine sitting there, when all of a sudden, your outer wall tears open with a scream of rending metal and maybe some mass barges in?

Wonder if somebody's getting a free future cruise?

I may be wrong but I believe the Cozumel "Pilot" docks all cruise ships. They board just before the board dock.

I may be wrong but I believe the Cozumel "Pilot" docks all cruise ships. They board just before the board dock.

I'm not sure about cruise ships or cozumel but usually the ships captain is responsible for EVERYTHING that happens even if he or she had no control over it.

The deck plans show the two decks most heavily affected are the main dining room (two levels with atrium). Fortunately, the one injury reported so far was minor and apparently occurred as guests were evacuating the dining rooms. I have to wonder about the staterooms below - the external hull doesn't appear to be damaged, but I wonder about internally? And this being Christmas week, the ship isn't likely to have any extra rooms available if anyone is displaced.

drrich2... the area damaged is the aft dining room, 2 stories tall with large windows. Looks like that is the only real damage. Directly below that is the Comedy Club, maybe some damage there from impact, broken fixtures, etc.
As far as free future cruises, I am betting Carnival will give everyone onboard a credit of some sort, possibly a full refund for cruise or free future cruise.

Wind is crazy for all boats, but a big ship is like a sail in the wind when it blows across it. It can be hard to dock when sudden gusts of wind are blowing you INTO the pier.

According to news reports (ABC, Time) it was the dining room. One passenger sustained a minor injury during the evacuation of the dining room. Passengers were encouraged to spend the day ashore, probably so they could clean up the mess.

The
Two Carnival cruise ships just collided in Cozumel, Mexico - CNN

Report of one injury that I've seen so far. Interesting that wind and current are being blamed; I've dealt with two cruise ship incidents where winds were a factor. In one of those cases the weather reports showed the cruise ship was taking ~30-knot gusts on the beam as it was trying to leave dock in a tight anchorage. One would think the smart move would be to wait until things died down, but heaven forbid the tourists miss their port call.
wind wasn't THAT bad this morning to affect a cruise ship docking - we've had much worse - it was only 10mph north wind this morning - this is what they get for trying to bring too many ships in at one time. Glad there were no serious injuries (that we know of).

Local Govt. mentality:
"Oh no, not enough room for the ships, build another pier!"

Reasonable solution: "NO, tell them, sorry, we're full today - CAP the number of cruise ships per day."

Have I mentioned lately how much I absolutely DESPISE the cruise ship industry?

Back
Top Bottom