Need drysuit fin recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinLoos1985

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I need a fin recommendation. I dive in a DUI drysuit with the attached ultraflex boots (size XL). I currently own:

Apeks RK3 HD (size large) - good fit but the fins aren’t stiff enough. The stock spring straps seems loose when I kick. Perhaps I stretched the springs?

So I moved to the

Scubapro jet fins (size xl) made in the USA. I added Highland Spring Straps (12 inch). My complaint here is the foot pocket is to narrow and I really have to cram my boot into the fin. The xxl fin is to big...I tried that.

Overall, I’m looking for a stiff, jet styled fin, with a bigger foot pocket.

Try rubbing the inside of the Jetfin foot pocket with a good grade of carwax. Now the boots become a slip fit instead of a cramfit. Be careful though, easy on means easy off.
If that doesn't work good enough, Turtle fins has a couple of sizes in between Scubapro Jetfin XL and XXL.

Michael

I sent throught hesame thing i use mares aquatics. While looking for other fins i called both DUI adn the potential fin maker to see what size of fin was needed to fit over my rock boots. they told me and allwas well. then I had issues with fins on bots at all. Thje aquatics was the only fins i could get whose width and size would work on rock boots and regular neo boots. the rest had problems with the amount of material on top of fppt foot socket of the fin that restricted the boot from going in. that drove me to go to a larger size and then the width was too wide.

I'm in the in between sizes for jets. The turtles work for me but ymmv. I'm a 9.5 US shoe size.

Try rubbing the inside of the Jetfin foot pocket with a good grade of carwax. Now the boots become a slip fit instead of a cramfit. Be careful though, easy on means easy off.
If that doesn't work good enough, Turtle fins has a couple of sizes in between Scubapro Jetfin XL and XXL.

Michael
Thank you, I’ll try the car wax tip. However, I simply think the foot pocket on the Scubapro jet fin is to narrow.

I'm in the in between sizes for jets. The turtles work for me but ymmv. I'm a 9.5 US shoe size.

min going to try the turtles, they seem to be what I’m looking for.

Jetfins appear to be made for people with feet shaped like housebricks. I've now switched to Hollis F1s which have foot pockets for regular human beings, but...

I did manage to make my old Jetfins more comfy by stretching the foot pockets:

I put them in a large pan of boiling water for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile I put on a pair of hiking boots. When the fins had softened-up, I shoved my booted feet into them and left them there until the fins cooled down. They were a lot better after that.

Jetfins appear to be made for people with feet shaped like housebricks. I've now switched to Hollis F1s which have foot pockets for regular human beings, but...

I did manage to make my old Jetfins more comfy by stretching the foot pockets:

I put them in a large pan of boiling water for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile I put on a pair of hiking boots. When the fins had softened-up, I shoved my booted feet into them and left them there until the fins cooled down. They were a lot better after that.
Nice tips, I will try this as well. Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom