Have you been to Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wet Wiskey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Searching the threads " the Pacific Islands" I'm not finding much on Bali. We are going to Bali in February to escape Wisconsin winter. Since I am a diver I would like to dive there. From what I have been reading, I get the feeling it is not a dive destination.
Being 70 years old I'm looking for relaxing diving.
If you have been there in the last couple of years what has been your experience?

Bali is an island in Indonesia.
Plenty of info in the Indonesia section.
You will be overwhelmed but do take your time to read them.

I hope the MOD will move this thread.

Searching the threads " the Pacific Islands" I'm not finding much on Bali. We are going to Bali in February to escape Wisconsin winter. Since I am a diver I would like to dive there. From what I have been reading, I get the feeling it is not a dive destination.
If you have been there in the last couple of years what has been your experience?
Hi @Wet Wiskey. As Centrals said, Bali is in Indonesia and is therefore in that sub forum. Lots of good diving in and around Bali. And cheap!

if you want to find some info, I recommend going to google and searching “Bali” “scubaboard” just like that with quotes. Add any more information to your search if you want more details. A lot will come up.

I get the feeling it is not a dive destination.
If you have been there in the last couple of years what has been your experience ?

There’s great diving in Bali. Some super easy and some a bit rugged. Lot’s of topside sights too. Tons of info here on SB.

As others have mentioned, checkout the Indonesian thread.

I have been to Bali a few times and thoroughly enjoyed my diving and other activities there. I used it as a gateway to other places – such as Komodo - but would have no problem considering Bali as a dive destination on its own.

I’m in my late sixties and the Tulamben area might be one location to read about that would seem to match what you are looking for. It has been a few years since I was there, so for locations and dive operations, please read the posts in the Indonesian thread.

My typical dive schedule in Bali was two dives in the morning (maybe a night dive on the Liberty), lunch, a massage in the afternoon – maybe a nap – and then dinner. Repeat the next day.

At the end of my trip I would usually schedule a few non-dive days in the Ubud area – lots to do and/or just to relax. You can even arrange day dive trips from Ubud, but that can result in some long drives.

I went to Bali at this time last...I loved it and I'd be there right now if something hadn't come up.

The diving was great compared to where I usually go in the Caribbean and at 70 you maybe on the young side for Tulamben. I'm not making that up, the place is totally set up for older divers and if need be, your CM will pretty much carry you down to the water and put your gear on you.

I talked to one woman down there who was still diving at 86 and she told me about her friend who was still diving Bali at 92.

Older people stay in Amed/Tulamben while the younger set do day trips up from the southern resort area.

My husband and I have been to Bali many times and love the diving , the food and the culture there.

I cannot recommend Liberty Dive Resort enough. You get your own guide, free Nitrox and set your own schedule. Two dives at 8 o’clock , no problem. One dive at 6 and a night dive , also no problem. I have a travel BCD which is useless out of the water and also a camera. So my wonderful guide at LDR took my eqipment into the water for me and I also took it off in the water.

The diving is wonderful in Bali and another excellent place to stay is Padang Bai with Absoute Scuba. From there you can visit Manta Point, with a very high chance of seeing mantas, and the excellent local sites with sharks, turtles and great macro spots. Again, all your equipment is taken care of and the guides are incredibly good. For beach time Gili Air is really nice and good for lots of turtles and some sharks. Manta Dive on Gili Air have very nice accomodation and a great restuarant.

Hope this helps !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom