Anilao vs Moalboal in January for Marine Life / Temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How would Anilao vs Moalboal be in Jan for Marine Life and Temperature.
Spent a week earlier this year in Anilao and it was GLORIOUSLY AMAZING. So many critters to see.
Considering going in Jan for 5 days either back to Anilao or maybe Moalboal.
Anilao has so much diversity that repeat might be fine. So easy to get to. Thanks.

You can't compare Moalboal with Anilao.You simply cannot!
While you'd have a hard time diving all Anilao dive sites and checking the many the critters in 3-4 dive trips, Moalboal provides 2 dive sites worthwhile, add a nightdive on top and that's about it.
I would stay 2 days maximum in Moalboal, and hurry for more rewarding diving elsewhere around Dauin or Balicasag.

Based on what @Luko shared above and that was my thinking as well- I would stick with Anilao or if you had more time, then throw in a few days in Puerto Galera combined with Anilao. That's my plan for the next trip. Split my time between Anilao and PG.

Orange and apple!
Two completely different styles of diving. Wall vs muck.
Ask the operator to take you to the sanctuary in Moalboal!

I did Anilao and Maolbaol on two different February trips. Anilao is way way better, with amazing critter biodiversity and biodensity. The water was colder than Maolboal.

Maolboal is not too bad at all, with lots of turtles and sardines, and it is easy to combine with Malapascua, Dumaguete or Southern Leyte.

It's a big mistake to pigeonhole Anilao into simply muck. Anilao is not Lembeh, far from being just muck diving.
Most of the macro dive sites are not muck either it's more a mix of sand and corals, on the blue water type of diving Beatrice provides great wide angle opportunities, you can find jackfish schools as well on one of the mainland sites.

Proof :
11784685044_afb6ea33fb_z.jpg

13512039264_7e2e4e406d_z.jpg

11755505355_7393db5bc8_z.jpg

It's a big mistake to pigeonhole Anilao into simply muck. Anilao is not Lembeh, far from being just muck diving.
Most of the macro dive sites are not muck either it's more a mix of sand and corals, on the blue water type of diving Beatrice provides great wide angle opportunities, you can find jackfish schools as well on one of the mainland sites.

Proof :
View attachment 556303

View attachment 556304

View attachment 556305
Do Anilao operators do day trips to Verde Island? I have only dived there from Puerto Galera. I am also curious how Verde Island compares to Apo Island-

Do Anilao operators do day trips to Verde Island? I have only dived there from Puerto Galera. I am also curious how Verde Island compares to Apo Island-

Good question, they will dive Sombrero Island, it's pretty nice. I sure wouldn't want to get all the way to Verde from Anilao and have the seas/wind kick up on a diving banka. I've had one dicey ride on a bigger banka that I never want to repeat, a smaller one would be terrifying.

Apo when I dove it pre typhoon was really great, and the muck along Dauin can be world class. There was a big school of Jack's out at Apo then and the hard corals were really amazing. The fish life then was pretty copious. Thing is I've not done PG yet so can't comment on a comparrison.

I think some do but on a very infrequent schedule. The ones that have bigger boats like Aiyanar may arrange on request. I think I have read somewhere Buceo was exceptionnally arranging such trips. Have to say I never did.

Personally I have never ben impressed with Apo on the fish side , it lacks so much fish, nothing like anthias swarms and the places where you’ll find the jackfish have been hit badly years ago.

It is a really long journey from Anilao to Verde. From what I have seen, most of the bancas used is pretty small even by PG standard. So ask ahead before making any reservation with the resort.
Apo Island has a bit more dive sites than Verde Pinnacle. Pure quality wise, Verde wins hand down and the wall is a lot lot deeper!

Back
Top Bottom