Where's the reports??? Oh and keeping a theme Hammerhead at La Francessa- Cedral...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So, it's the afternoon of December 16. Surely someone's been to Palancar? Columbia?

And so as not to tease, we were diving Thanksgiving week and it was some odd combo of Mountains, La Francessa, Cedral, on our second dive. We were on top of a little ridge, not sure exactly where but I'm sure Blue XTSea's Pedro Pablo does. During the first 15 minutes of the dive, I actually thought "Coz is great diving, you might see a hammerhead or whale shark [villablanca wall] but it's so rare, but you don't come for those animals...." Not 30 minutes later look to the little valley to the west of the ridge, Hammerhead and a couple hangers on slowly making its way north. All but two on our boat saw it (and boy, were they sorry they had such good air consumption and were still way back and deeper).

only the second hammerhead i've seen in the Caribbean, Cayman being the other.

I haven't seen one yet but I'm sure you're right that Pedro would know exactly where you were. A few years ago there were sightings by friends I had dove with just after I flew home 2 trips in a row.

Dove it today, no sharks though?

So, it's the afternoon of December 16. Surely someone's been to Palancar? Columbia?

And so as not to tease, we were diving Thanksgiving week and it was some odd combo of Mountains, La Francessa, Cedral, on our second dive. We were on top of a little ridge, not sure exactly where but I'm sure Blue XTSea's Pedro Pablo does. During the first 15 minutes of the dive, I actually thought "Coz is great diving, you might see a hammerhead or whale shark [villablanca wall] but it's so rare, but you don't come for those animals...." Not 30 minutes later look to the little valley to the west of the ridge, Hammerhead and a couple hangers on slowly making its way north. All but two on our boat saw it (and boy, were they sorry they had such good air consumption and were still way back and deeper).

Sounds to me like you were at the Mountains of Cedral, one of Pedro's favorite dives and mine too-- What a great sighting!

I got to stop looking at these reports! Last year someone had posted a video on here of one on San Francisco wall. Hammerheads, dolphins, what's next?

There’s been a hammerhead sighted multiple times at SF Wall this fall.

Reports from Punta Sur were spectacular yesterday. About 6 Eagle Rays putting on a show and a few black tips - there are diseased spots, but overall not bad at Punta Sur

Also a red lipped batfish at San Francisco. I'll get Mark to give me a more objective report on the coral disease and report back. They've done Columbia, Punta Sur, and Palancar this week.

Congrats! It’s my understanding hammerhead sightings are somewhat rare in Cozumel, but we saw one at Palancar Reef last year. We hanging out at 30 feet when it suddenly appeared. It was steadily swimming south, but I managed to capture some (less than great) video of it. Skip to the 1:56 mark in the attached video.

Congrats! It’s my understanding hammerhead sightings are somewhat rare in Cozumel, but we saw one at Palancar Reef last year. We hanging out at 30 feet when it suddenly appeared. It was steadily swimming south, but I managed to capture some (less than great) video of it. Skip to the 1:56 mark in the attached video.

Fantastic video, what was the story with the spotted moray??

Fantastic video, what was the story with the spotted moray??
Wish I knew. I had the video running as I was swimming between reefs when I saw him coming at me. He bumped into the camera rig then left. I was a bit surprised by his behavior so watched and yep, he came after me again. Actually bit onto one of the tray handles then started twisting, spinning as they do with their prey. You can see the sand start to swirl.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom