Koh Samui/Phangan/Tao in April 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetWombat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a trip to Thailand in April 2020. I've been focusing on Koh Samui/etc. because of the ease of access from BKK via air. I've done the multiple-transfers-between-endpoints thing before and I'm getting to an age where easier is better.

Why April? Well, the PADI website says that's the peak time for whale sharks around these three islands, but especially Sail Rock. I've wanted to see whale sharks in the wild for quite some time.

So: the plan is a week diving, then a week sightseeing in and around Bangkok.

I've gone through a number of the threads on this forum and, as a result, have a head full of conflicting information. My questions:

1) How would you recommend I split my time among these islands? I have to start and end on Koh Samui and use ferries to get between islands; all else is negotiable.
2) I know that Koh Phangan is the closest to Sail Rock. Does it have anything else to recommend it?
3) It would be nice to get in at least ten dives during this trip; more is better. Is this possible? Can morning and afternoon dives be had on any of these islands?
4) It would be nice to not have to drag my BC with me. Is the rental equipment at the more respectable shops fit for use? Some of the other threads make this sound like a crapshoot.
5) Do you have any recommendations for dive shops or hotels/resorts on these islands (especially Koh Phangan and Koh Tao)? I've read the more recent recommendation threads but those seem to focus on Koh Samui.
6) How hard is it to get between islands on the ferries? Is one of the ferry companies better than the other, or are they comparable? How easy it it to get from the Koh Samui airport to the inter-island ferry terminal, and from the ferry terminals to hotels and such?

Note: I have all the certs I need right now. Instruction isn't an issue. I'm unlikely to go dancing on the beach until dawn and I'm equally unlikely to go drinking with people who are young enough to be my grandchildren, so massive partying isn't on the list for this trip. I'm not going to Phuket no matter how many times you tell me to. Pretty scenery is a bonus; so is good food.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Koh Tao: for diving.
www.master-divers.com/
Two dives in the morning and two in the afternoon and may be a night dive. Is that enough for a day?
The special trip to Sail Rock or Chumphon Pinnacle is based on demand.

Koh Phangan: party
Koh Samui: the airport
Inter islands travelling between the three is plentiful.

What is the attraction of Koh Samui?
There is nothing there interested me and flight is expensive because the airport is privately owned.
A sleeper train(#85) from BKK(19:30) to Chumphon(04:15) and then onward by either Lomprayah or Songserm(06:00) will get you to Koh Tao around 09:00. Master divers is about 5 mins walk from Lomprayah Pier.
Save Bungalows which is just round the corner from Master Divers is good value.

There is nothing there interested me and flight is expensive because the airport is privately owned.
A sleeper train(#85) from BKK(19:30) to Chumphon(04:15) and then onward by either Lomprayah or Songserm(06:00) will get you to Koh Tao around 09:00. Master divers is about 5 mins walk from Lomprayah Pier.
Save Bungalows which is just round the corner from Master Divers is good value.
Samui would give some more options regarding other things to do. Because yes, I agree, for diving it would be the least desirable place in the general area.

Nok Air Home - NokAir do a combination deal where you can buy your flight from Bangkok (DM) to Chumphon, the transfer to the pier and the Lomprayah ferry in one package.

We did this for Koh Tao in August. It's all very straightforward.

You would need to allow for an overnight stay near the pier if you want to get the early (7am) ferry but I believe you can do it in one day if you get the afternoon ferry.

Thanks. Keep it coming!

A sleeper train(#85) from BKK(19:30) to Chumphon(04:15) and then onward by either Lomprayah or Songserm(06:00) will get you to Koh Tao around 09:00.

I should mention that the flight-bus-ferry-bus-taxi part of my dive trip to the Canaries was absolutely my least favorite part of that trip.

I need to start and end at Koh Samui for the flights; I don't need to stay there unless there's a reason to.

Nok Air Home - NokAir do a combination deal where you can buy your flight from Bangkok (DM) to Chumphon, the transfer to the pier and the Lomprayah ferry in one package.

We did this for Koh Tao in August. It's all very straightforward.

You would need to allow for an overnight stay near the pier if you want to get the early (7am) ferry but I believe you can do it in one day if you get the afternoon ferry.

Do you remember what the fly/ferry package cost? I can't get the Nok Air website to behave (not a good sign for me; if they can't get the website to work, how do they keep their planes flying?).

You can fly from Bangkok to Chumphon and then take a ferry. Myself, I'd take a later ferry 9:30 and 1:00 if I remember correctly because they are only 1 hr 30 minutes but the early one is 2 hours 30 min maybe 3 hour

Then consider diving with New Way. They have special packages that are "only the best sites" and do not apoear to be based on numbers of divers.

Dive Sail Rock | New Way Diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom