Cozumel shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t think it is unreasonable for Aldora to restrict the use of their facilities to paying customers...The potential legal complications of opening their property to the public at large should be self-evident...
I don't disagree at all. I wasn't asking anything about Aldora or their facilities. I'm asking if there is anywhere on the western side of the island (near Tikila, or anywhere else) where it may be safe to shore dive even when the wind/waves are such that the port is closed.

I don't disagree at all. I wasn't asking anything about Aldora or their facilities. I'm asking if there is anywhere on the western side of the island (near Tikila, or anywhere else) where it may be safe to shore dive even when the wind/waves are such that the port is closed.

sorry...guess I misunderstood.

From my understanding when port is closed its closed for shore diving. We were at hotel coz once during a norte and we saw 2 people jump off scuba club dock for a shore dive. They ended up at hotel coz and we had to pull them up the ladders. No one should rent you tanks for shore diving west side during port closure. Imho we did shore dives at tikila and it was rough but port was open . Its not fun even with steps.

I'm just asking in general -- I don't get there until Friday night, and am not booked through Aldora. I'm just wondering, when the port is closed due to wind/waves (like it may be early next week), if there is still a possibility of safely shore diving from anywhere on the west side (say, around Tikila, or somewhere else)? I'm a bit bummed looking at the weather from Saturday afternoon through early next week.

Not in my experience. I've been there on days when it was closed and didn't see any divers in the water or tanks being rented. I've asked the question before and pretty sure the answer is when the port is closed that means the water is closed for all water activities.

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but if the port closes because of wind/waves are there any places on the west side that might still be o.k. to shore dive?
Closed for aquatic activity getting tank rentals will be an issue - shops are not supposed to rent tanks when port is closed

And if you can't stay at the Villa, then you probably don't want to stay in the North side. It's more expensive than in town and a minor pain in the butt to get back and forth.

It's worth noting that we rent out excellent oceanfront apartments for $75/night just a few steps south of Villa Aldora. All units have a kitchen, King and Twin beds in each unit, two balconies each ocean view, AC, WiFi, and much more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom