Wife describes losing husband - Maui, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a medical event that quacks like narcosis? What could make someone swim off like that?

The diver's wife states she saw him descending, swimming casually. Im assuming that this was at some distance.

Im wondering if she may have been mistaken. Maybe he was in medical distress, and what she interpreted as "casual swimming" was all that he could manage to do. I believe he was facing away from her, so she couldn't see his face

At some point, during the descent, she says he became limp. But then he apparently (according to the report, he ran out of air, which caused him to wake up, he "pulled his rip cord" by himself and reached the surface unattended.

None of the above makes a lot of sense.

Again, with this poorly written report, who know what was really going on. I guess Im saying I wouldn't rule out or focus on anything, without additional information.

I'm sympathetic to the awful tragedy this woman endured. She is doing some blaming. Her being an attorney reinforces the irritation some of us get with the expectation some people have to get exhaustive 'this could happen to you' warnings before being 'allowed' to participate in an activity.

The sort of warnings that would become so unwieldy they'd be part of those little fine print paragraphs people initial without reading on forms.

"Having only a vague recollection of what nitrogen narcosis was from her certification courses in 1991, Monday started researching it online.

She read stories about people who had suffered nitrogen narcosis and then did things such as try to give their air to fish or dive down to complete a task, only to sit there until tapped on the shoulder by another diver.

She learned it affects everyone differently, and while it usually occurs below 100 feet, it can happen at just 60 feet and become intensified by over-the-counter medications.

One of those medications, Dramamine, Sharp had taken that day. It was also his first dive below 60 feet.

“I do not recall these things ever being explained in detail or stressed on any dive trip I have taken, which is unacceptable,” Monday said. “When you are on vacation, when you are on one of those tours, you kind of forget about the risks of diving because it is such a fun and exciting thing, and I really think they need to stress more (the dangers).”"

No, it's not unacceptable. When someone sells you a car, they don't have do an educational presentation about highway fatality causes and statistics. Not everyone cares to be as aware of risks in detail as others; if you want to be better informed, we have the Internet and unprecedented access to that information.

If he'd suffered regulator dysfunction and drowned, or accidentally swam into a virulent jellyfish, or developed immersion pulmonary edema and basically drowned in his own fluids, we could've had the same basic complaint. How much longer are we going to make dive briefings with mandated warnings about the various awful things that could happen to you?

"The sharks, and the instructor diverting people’s attention to them before buddying up, “disrupted the whole process,” she said." That ought not to 'disrupt the whole process.' Of course a guide will point out the sharks.

There's a theme this incident brings to mind. A recurrent criticism of the dive industry by a few has been that recreational diving is billed as 'safe,' without enough emphasis on how dangerous it is or can be. Since the people educating the public are the ones selling dive courses and dive gear, it's an understandable concern.

How much should the industry, whether people teaching courses, dive op.s, etc..., try to scare people with dread possibilities? What is the right balance?

When I travel to dive, I have to initial forms that basically claim I'm an adult, affirm I'm healthy enough to dive, I know scuba diving isn't perfectly safe, crap happens and I could get seriously hurt or die, and by and large I'm responsible for me. I know going in that's how it is.

That said, those of us who read a lot on Scuba Board get educated about issues like narcosis and are probably more aware than people who get certified, then don't avidly follow such discussions...who just dive once in awhile and listen to what dive op. staff tell them.

My OW instructors told us from the beginning this sport can kill you. They didn’t mince words. But they’re not vacation divers. While they dive tropical, they also dive local (quarry/Great Lakes).

I’m sorry the woman lost her husband, but there’s a whole lot of “what the heck happened” in the whole thing that I can’t make heads or tails of the specifics.

I wonder when the couple had dived last. I don’t remember if that was mentioned.

Scopolamine used to be available in pill form, Scopace, in the USA, but that disappeared several years ago. I believe that was also by Rx. There are other brand names for the pills, but I haven't heard of any available through pharmacies here. Kwells is one. I've read of it being available mail order from some of the Commonwealth countries.

I try to cut people slack because I need slack cut for me so often, so here are a few thoughts in defense of this woman.

I hear and acknowledge all the comments about what doesn’t make sense in this story, but . . .

Being an attorney does not automatically make one dishonorable or overly litigious.

It has been 20 months since her husband died. Has she filed any law suits?

She herself went well beyond recreational limits, probably ascended at at unsafe rate, and suffered a medical emergency as a result while dealing with the heartbreak of losing her husband. It’s not surprising she doesn’t have a coherent recollection of the event.

It is the reporter’s job in a human interest story to make the subject sympathetic or at least relatable, so a good part of the pathos could be from the writer’s slant.

Unless she proves otherwise, let’s assume she really is, as she said, trying to live gracefully with the hole in her life.

Scopolamine used to be available in pill form, Scopace, in the USA, but that disappeared several years ago. I believe that was also by Rx. There are other brand names for the pills, but I haven't heard of any available through pharmacies here. Kwells is one. I've read of it being available mail order from some of the Commonwealth countries.

At least as of several years ago, it was still possible to get scopolamine in pill form in the U.S. at what's known as a compounding pharmacy. Now, I wouldn't count on the average Physician knowing off the top of his head how to grab up the phone and order it, so if you've got a Family Doc. or similar who might be willing, do a little research to find out what's required.

But it could be done, as I've done it (granted, well before our 6-year old was born). Not all pharmacies are compounding pharmacies, but there's likely one in driving distance of many people.

Just a quick note of clarification/caution on all the Dramamine discussion - there are 3 different adult versions, with distinctly different ingredients. They are NOT all the same.

My assumption is that the one mentioned in this article is the Original Formula, containing Dimenhydrinate 50mg.
The All Day Less Drowsy version (formerly Dramamine II) contains Meclizine HCI 25mg, the same ingredient and strength as Bonine.
The Non-Drowsy Naturals version contains 500mg of ginger.

So if you are making any decisions or changes based on what you are reading about Dramamine, be sure to base them on the drug and not the brand.

Keep in mind too that Bonine/Meclizine and Dramamine/Dimenhydrinate are both first generation antihistamines as is Benedryl/Diphenhydramine and a whole list of other cold/cough and allergy medications and as such they are all considered sedating. In fact, this side effect is why they are so often used as a sleep aid. If you read the warnings on the label they will all list caution driving or operating machinery. One could also add diving. This is why DAN recommends against using a medication for the first time prior to diving.

And while the use of OTC Dramamine could certainly cause sedation, reduce motor skills and slow reasoning I highly doubt that use of this drug, unless he had an unusually severe adverse response, had any significant impact on the incident described.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom