Maui dive op & site suggestions for middle of March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am staying in Malaaea. Can you recommend a dive op that leaves from there? I was reading about a manta dive that leaves in the afternoon. I thought trade winds get stronger and most ops don't do afternoons.

I agree ^. Book direct or through Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei - also a good place for tanks. I don't believe you can get them in Maalea it's a harbor with some development.

Maui Diamond Sea Sports - Scuba Diving, Snorkeling at Molokini Crater, Turtle Town - Maui
Guided Boat Dives - We make scuba diving Maui FUN! - Maui Dreams Dive Co

Maui Dive Shop keeps their boat there also but feeds divers from all their locations so although it's a big Newton dive boat it can be crowded,

A last option is that Pride of Maui offers an expensive single tank dive on their Sorkel Charters but have a buddy or they'll want you to stay near the Discover Divers. Good family outing. they moor inside Molokini Crater, there's a waterslide, snorkeling and a BBQ. I did it once.

Don't miss the Maui Ocean Center in Maalea. One of the World's Top 10 Aquariums according to them. Sometimes they've had a small Tiger Shark in the big tank - his parents live near Olawalu Beach...lol Maui Ocean Center | Aquarium of Hawaii | Encounter Hawaii's Marine Life

More choices are20 min. drive south at the Kihei Boat Ramp. There must be 1/2 dozen including Severns, B&B Scuba, others.

Robinson's did the Manta Dive b4 they closed - my buddy has done it. It's a distance off Umekahame Beach, I may have heard Lahaina Divers goes there. I believe Maui Scooter Dive – See more Sea Life – Maui DPV Scuba does also from shore.

The Smaller boats (some do really launch at the Kihei Ramp) don't cross over in the afternoons. Some stay along the West Maui coast or not at all. Bigger boats like Lahaina Divers go afternoons - I've been diving off Lanai once with them around 4PM - the ride back was a little Sporty! The Molokai Hammerhead trips are rough both ways as it's a deepwater channel you cross.

If you are any experienced diver I would not dive with Mike Severns. They are very knowledgeable about the local reef inhabitants. However, their operation caters to low skill divers and they want everything running a certain way. For example, they insisted on assembling gear and then did it wrong. Hose setups out the bottom of the turret and mounted 45 degrees really confuse them.

I think I annoyed them because we are great on air and could dive 60+ min when they just wanted the dives over.

I dove a week with them and it was too much coddling. I will dive with someone else when I make it back.

Lahaina Divers in Lahaina, good boats and good people.

Aloha
For boat diving I highly recommend Dive Maui/ Hawaiian Rafting Adventures. Great crew and awesome captain. Nice relaxed style of diving and wont cut you short on dive time. I own a shore dive business on maui and use them all the time for my boat dives. There website is
www.goscubadivemaui.com.
Mahalo
Scuba Steve
Maui Dive Connection
Www.mauidiveconnection.com

We are staying in Maleae so will consider Maui dive company. As a Canadian it's very expensive. $425 for my husband to snorkel and me to dive. Might just snorkel from shore, it's free!

I'd recommend some shore diving. I enjoyed some nice night dives. I didn't do Mala Pier at night, but I wish I had. I did do 5 caves out of Makena Landing and I think Ulua Beach. Really enjoyable shallow night dives. Just be sure to label properly where to return.

We are staying in Maleae so will consider Maui dive company. As a Canadian it's very expensive. $425 for my husband to snorkel and me to dive. Might just snorkel from shore, it's free!

There are some good shore dive sites in S. Maui that you can dive and snorkel together for very inexpensive. Both Ulua and Makena Landing are shallow enough that your husband could litter all snorkel above you and see you the entire time. Is that $425 CAN?

when are you going?

Yes, that's after tax and conversion. Was a little shocked myself. I've seen higher too. This would be dive snorkle to Molokini. We are upcountry until March 31 and then move down to Malaea until April 10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom