DIR- Generic Field serviceable dry suit seals: DIR or unneeded failure point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im about to order the Deep 6 dry suit (or strongly thinking about ordering one). They offer some different neck and wrist seal options from SI Tech. This got me to thinking about the cost vs benefit of field changeable seals.

Pros
You can keep a set of seals in your kit and change a torn one anywhere
You can easily change between silicone and latex (maybe more important for use in a rental or training application)

Neutral
incorperates a dry glove option. I categorize this as neutral because you can have dry gloves on a glued in wrist seal too.

Cons
introduces an additional failure point. The Oring and locking collar are now a potential point of leakage not found on a glued in seal.

Im super new to all this so maybe I'm over thinking.

Thoughts?

Deep 6 Makara Custom Drysuit

The various changeable zip type seals (dui or sitec) are not really anymore of a failure point than having a glue on seal delaminate from the suit (happens). If they are installed at the start of the dive they don't ever really spontaneously pop off.
If you can afford them and the bulk doesn't annoy you, they are generally worth the price.

They're ok for traveling or if you seriously cannot get timely drysuit repairs.

I would not consider them for serious applications (exploration, major projects) where an in-water failure would jeopardize your safety. The best solution for those instances are a 2nd drysuit.

A friend of mine had a zip-seal pop open on a dive just a week ago. On a for-real thing that's long and/or cold, that could be bad.

They are not perfect. They are better than they were. But you should dive with the neckseal ring on a rented suit to make sure it won’t drive you crazy.

I've got the SiTech round rings on my Santi. No issues, quick to change a torn wrist seal, and pull over dry gloves seal well on them

Firstly, that drysuit is an amazing suit. I dive it and it is one heck of a beast. I may order a second one from them. Secondly, I do not trust replaceable "this" and replaceable "that." Murphy said, "Anything that can go wrong will." When it comes to diving, Murphy does not apply. I have another law which goes something like "Things that have no chance of going wrong will!"

Firstly, that drysuit is an amazing suit. I dive it and it is one heck of a beast. I may order a second one from them. Secondly, I do not trust replaceable "this" and replaceable "that." Murphy said, "Anything that can go wrong will." When it comes to diving, Murphy does not apply. I have another law which goes something like "Things that have no chance of going wrong will!"

that’s good to know. It looks great and Deep 6 has a really good rep.

DUI’s zip seals are great, even the neck ring is almost unnoticeable. The seals are expensive, but when you include the cost of installation of a standard seal, comparatively, it’s not that bad. Also, if you’re crafty, you can make your own out of the old ones.

The sitech neck ring drives me insane, super uncomfortable, and I’ve seen one pop open in the water.

The sitech neck ring drives me insane, super uncomfortable, and I’ve seen one pop open in the water.
Thats what I mean. I dive one of the old rigid style rings and its OK. The newer flexible ones are supposed to be better, but some people still hate them. Others don’t even notice.

I have the Ursuit One drysuit which is the manufacturer that makes the Deep 6 drysuit that you plan on picking up. I've had a Si Tec Quick Neck ring installed since day one and haven't had any problems. I accidentally tore the neck seal when I snagged the neck on a sharp metal corner in my garage and changed out the neck seal in about a minutes time. I'm running a Waterproof Ultima ring system on my drysuit and haven't had any issues. No problems with leaking or anything popping off. Keep a spare set of seals in your drysuit bag for insurance.

I have some tendons which caused channeling with my previous latex seals on my suit. Using a ring system with silicone seals helped create a tighter seal. I'd hate to go down to Mexico or Florida and have to miss a day of my Cave 1/2 class due to a blown seal or having to pay $$$ and use a rental suit that might not fit you perfectly.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom